Sure, butt acne and backne isn’t in your face 24/7 like a big friendly chin zit, but you know they’re there. They also tend to be juicy whitehead pimples (the ones with white gunk-filled hats on), and thanks to their inconvenient location, it’s near impossible to pop those suckers yourself.
And because bum pimples can pop up when you’re wearing lots of activewear or non-breathable pants like, say, trackies, you might be experiencing them more now you’re working from home.
But fear not, because I’ve been to bum acne hell and back, and I found the solution: A $9.50 face wash you can buy at any pharmacy.
There are also some great, gentle acne recommendations in this episode of You Beauty below. Post continues after audio.
Before we get into it, here’s a quick bum pimples and backne summary:
- Pimples on your bum and back are different to the pimples on your face because they’re not hormone-related.
- Butt acne is generally either a bacterial inflammation, fungal or yeast related, or inflammation from irritants like dust and chemicals.
- They can be caused by sweat, heat, wearing tight clothing and exposure to irritants.
- To get rid of them:
- Find out what is causing your the pimples.
- Use antibiotics if it’s an infection.
- Use a cortisol steroid ointment if it’s an irritant or rash.
- Use an anti-bacterial wash, chemical exfoliant or alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA) cleanser on the affected areas if it’s bacterial.
Now, onto the product that has significantly reduced the pimples on my bum, likely caused by sitting on said bum all day.
Phisohex Antibacterial Face Wash is, as the name suggests, an antibacterial face wash used to treat acne and pimples. It's designed for acne-prone skin, but does wonders for killing the bacteria that causes pesky bum pimples. Bonus, it gets rid of stinky pits too.
I first heard about this product when Zoe Marshall recommended it on her You Beauty episode of In Her Bag and cross my heart, it's clearing up my butt acne. It's also a hit in Mamamia's You Beauty Facebook group, with many using it for teenage acne and body odour.