In the United States, there are more guns than there are people.
So far this year, more than 5,500 people have died as a result of gun violence, 244 of those children.
Statistically, another 10,000 Americans will die in a gun related incident by the end of 2018 – some will be accidental, some will be suicide and some will be as a result of mass shootings.
On Friday morning just before 8am, at Santa Fe High School in Texas, a number of students were sitting in their art class when a gunman opened fire.
Eights students and two teachers were senselessly murdered.
In order to fully comprehend the threat of gun violence in the United States in 2018, here are five shocking facts.
- Three of the 10 deadliest mass shootings in modern American history have occurred in the last eight months.
- It is more dangerous to be a school student than a deployed service member in 2018. You are twice as likely to be shot dead at school, than in active service.
- An American woman is shot dead by her partner every 16 hours.
- One in three children live in a home with a gun.
- In an average day, 20 American children are shot.