Kylie Jenner’s makeup routine is a hefty, but (apparently) necessary 30-ish steps.
People Magazine reported 34, we’ve counted 38, but watching Kylie’s video for Vogue US’ Youtube channel, one thing is for sure… it’s very extensive and leaves every inch of the face covered. And despite the video’s fancy fast-forward edits, her entire routine still took more than 10 minutes.
In the video, Kylie chats to the audience as she applies four pumps of foundation and shows viewers how she 'bakes' her jawline, contours, double layers her blush and defines her brows with brow pencil, concealer and gel, to achieve maximum makeup impact.
And you can bet the last swipe of your lip gloss that we took extensive notes.
Watch and learn...
1. Starting with a clean face, Kylie explained that she had already applied moisturiser and lip balm prior to the video.
2. Then she uses an eyebrow pencil to fill in her brows.
3. Using concealer, she then places the product “right underneath to shape the brow" and applies the remainder over the lid as a base for the eyeshadow.
4. Next, she uses a beauty sponge - like a beauty blender - and dabs it over her concealer to remove any harsh lines.
5. And lastly dusts a light layer of powder, to set the concealer.
Next, the eyeshadow...
6. As a base colour, the beauty entrepreneur first applies a taupe matte shade to the crease of the eyelid with a fluffy blending brush to shape the eye area. Think of it as if you're going blending a wash of colour onto the bit where the eyelid dips into the back of your eyeball.
7. Then, Kylie applies a thin line of a glowy highlighter shade right underneath the brow bone.
8. Next, she applies a "darker brown" colour directly into the crease. Kylie says we're going for a "cut crease" look, and focuses the colour on the middle of the lid.
9. Grabbing a third colour - the mother-of-one goes for a very bright, coppery gold shade, and uses a finger to lightly 'pat' the shadow into her skin.
10. Now Kylie does "something crazy" and dabs a very bright, almost fluoro orange around the 'tear duct' area of her eyes. We're sure it's a look that only she can pull off.
11. Finally taking a makeup wipe, Kylie brushes off any rogue specs of eyeshadow from the under eye area. Speaking to the camera Kylie says that's why she chooses to do her foundation after her eyeshadow - so the drop down doesn’t ruin her base.
And now the base
12. Now here's where it gets technical. Kylie mixes exactly "four pumps" of her foundation with "one pump" of a liquid illuminator and uses a fluffy buffing brush in circular motions to buff in the foundation.
13. Next using a beauty sponge she further dabs and blends in her foundation so it becomes 'one' with the skin. Kylie really takes her time with this step.
14. Then Kylie re-lines her brows with her foundation using a small 'paint-brush-shaped concealer brush and uses her beauty sponge again to dab out any harsh lines. Kylie is very into the dabbing.
15. For concealer, Kylie uses two - "I like to mix my concealers - a pinkier one and a beigier one," she says, and applies the pink-toned concealer first to cancel out her dark circles.
16. Once again dab and blend with a makeup sponge.
17. To finish off the concealer, Kylie dips her beauty sponge into a finishing powder (a translucent setting powder will do too) and dusts this over her concealer.
18. Now Kylie uses some sort of powder-foundation-sunscreen situation because "[SPF] is very important".
Now we move onto contour and baking...
19. Using bronzer and a contour brush, it wouldn't be a Kardashian makeup tutorial without a bit of contouring and Kylie liberally applies this under her cheekbones and around her temples.
"For my face I place my contour mainly at the edge and then I kind of blend it out and then side of my forehead. I kind of do a three,” she explains.
20. Now baking, which she says is something she "can't do" her makeup without. She describes this process as "powder soaking into the skin" and from what we can see Kylie applies a very heavy layer of a light, baking powder along her jawline and kind of just leaves it there and carries on with the rest of her makeup.
Then the lips...
21. Beginning with a nude lip liner applied all over her lips, the 20-year-old proves that she can literally do this with her eyes closed, which is very impressive.
22. Then comes lipstick and Kylie opts for a dusky nude.
And back to the eyes...
23. Lightly brushing a taupe shade along her lower lash line, she says that this step "completes the eye". To be honest, we can't really tell the difference, but then again, we do not have our own multi-million dollar makeup line.
24. And for something just a little bit different, Kylie then applies the same fluoro orange eyeshadow from earlier along the inner corner of the lower lash line.
And now onto the first layer of blush...
25. Before applying any colour, Kylie first cleans up her under-eye area by dusting away any rogue pigment with a light layer of setting powder.
26. And then Kylie literally transforms the sides of her nose through two lines of contour down each side, and we are amazed.
27. Now comes the blush, which is a delightful shade of dusky rose blush which she applies to the apples of her cheek.
"I smile so I know where to put it," she says.
28. Next applying the remaining blush on her brush (try saying that eight times fast) Kylie dusts the product on her forehead and chin - again, we can't tell that this step actually does anything, but we're so close to the end, we don't care.
29. Next she brushes off her 'baking powder' with a fluffy powder brush, and somehow she's left with a subtle and evident 'glow' along her jaw line.
And now her two-product mascara step...
30. Despite the rules of the "lash world," Kylie applies mascara on top of her lash extensions... but she's a beauty entrepreneur that can do whatever the hell she wants.
31. For some extra kicks, she also uses a brown mascara on her lower lashes... for a "subtle look." We don't want to rock the boat, but this step might be a bit 'much' - call us crazy.
Finally we're onto highlighter...
32. Using a "small brush" for precision she applied a line of highlighter along the cheekbones.
33. Next, tapping a bit of highlighter onto the tip of her nose, she used her finger to smudge it up along her nose bridge.
34. Lastly, she applies a lil' bit more along the cupid's bow of her lip and then pops a bit onto her chin too, and that's highlighter done.
The final (we promise) steps...
35. Now onto her third lip product she, finished the look with a swipe of lip gloss, focusing the product on the middle of the lips.
36. Then setting her brows, she explains the very technical way she applies brow gel, and at this point we're more shocked that SHE'S STILL GOING, but would also like our brows to be 'on fleek', so we watch on dutifully. Pretty much she first uses the tip of the brush to get the bulk of the product onto the brow, and then uses the brush and combs her hair upwards.
37. Fixing up her blush one more time, Kylie says that she always puts extra blush "at the end," because why the hell not. As she says, "Blush doesn't work for everybody but it makes me just feel amazing..." and we can't hold that against the girl.
38. And finally - like actually finally, drench the face with a heavy mist of setting spray, wait for this to set and for the love of makeup... that's all.
Now take a million and one selfies, and congratulations, because you're done.
Would you dare to recreate Kylie's 'natural' look or did we lose you somewhere from steps 11-28? We'd understand.