Kim Cattrall shares the plans Sex And The City writers had for Samantha.
In a new interview with Variety this week, actor Kim Cattrall has spoken about the new SATC reboot And Just Like That, as well as the defunct third film.
Regarding the reboot she said: “I was never asked to be part of the reboot. I made my feelings clear after the possible third movie, so I found out about it like everyone else did – on social media.”
But Cattrall said she would have said no if asked, as she did when a third film was pitched to her.
“Everything in me went, ‘I’m done’,” she said to Variety. “That’s a no. It’s powerful to say no. It’s a great wisdom to know when enough is enough,” Cattrall said. “I also didn’t want to compromise what the show was to me. The way forward seemed clear. I’ve come to the conclusion that really the greatest compliment I could have as an actor is to be missed.”
Cattrall also criticised the pretty bizarre storyline that the third movie would have meant for the character of Samantha Jones, calling it "heartbreaking".
Apparently part of the script suggested a storyline where Samantha would be sent unsolicited “dick pics” from Miranda’s 14-year-old son, Brady. And that wasn’t something Cattrall wanted to see play out.
“Everything has to grow, or it dies. I felt that when the series ended, I thought that’s smart. We’re not repeating ourselves. I’m just not interested. I feel like I filled my quota on that one.”
“It’s a great wisdom to know when enough is enough,” Kim Cattrall says of walking away from #SexAndTheCity. “I also didn’t want to compromise what the show was to me. The way forward seemed clear.” https://t.co/NxrKFvYzPP pic.twitter.com/JDpwAVeHGx— Variety (@Variety) May 4, 2022
Toddler "critical" after being left on a hot bus.
A Queensland girl is in a critical but stable condition after being left on a minibus for almost six hours in Gracemere, near Rockhampton.
Three-year-old Nevaeh Austin was collected from her home around 9am on Wednesday, strapped into the van's second row and taken to Le Smileys Early Learning Centre at Gracemere in Central Queensland.
The minivan was parked at the centre's front door, but the two staff failed to ensure she left the vehicle. It has since come out that she was the only passenger that the driver had picked up.
As temperatures climbed to almost 30°C, Nevaeh remained strapped into her seat, clutching her bag. Almost six hours later, a staff member setting off for the after-school pick-up finally discovered the unconscious preschooler.
She was rushed to Rockhampton Base Hospital in a critical condition before being flown to Queensland Children's Hospital in Brisbane, where she remains. Her family is by her bedside, as authorities investigate how she had been left in the bus.
"It would appear that Nevaeh was the only child on the bus," Police Detective Inspector Darrin Shadlow said. "When they have returned to the centre, the driver and one other person who were on the bus at the time, had forgotten that she was there."
The centre's staff were cooperating with the investigation "to a degree", Insp Shadlow said, adding there were clear breaches in safety procedures. He didn't speculate on potential charges being laid, but vowed to leave no stone unturned in the probe.
Education Minister Grace Grace said her heart went out to Nevaeh and her family, and the toddler should simply had not been left on the bus. She said state laws changed in 2020, placing obligations on all services transporting children.
"My department, as the Regulatory Authority, is working closely with the QPS to ensure we gather all of the facts surrounding this tragic event," Ms Grace said in a statement. "The Regulatory Authority does not hesitate to take serious action when services fail to ensure children's health and safety, and where other tragic incidents have occurred, the necessary action has been taken."
The incident is similar to the death of Maliq Nicholas Floyd Namok-Malamoo, known as Meeky, in Cairns in February 2020. Maliq died from heat stress while left on a bus for almost six hours after being picked up to go to a childcare centre. The three-year-old was found still buckled into his seat, and could not be saved.
Maliq's mother, Muriel Namok, said her thoughts are with the Gracemere girl's family and the incident brought back memories of her son's death.
"Just sick, I felt really sick in my stomach. Angry, but definitely sick, I know this feeling all too well," she told Nine's Today program on Friday morning. "You look before you lock every time without fail. It's too unbelievable. There is a feeling of disbelief, and there is anger now."
- With AAP.
Assistant Minister for Women defends her anti-abortion rally appearance.
Amanda Stoker, the Assistant Minister for Women, has defended her participation at an anti-abortion rally in Brisbane. She was joined by LNP Senator Matt Canavan and One Nation Senator Malcolm Roberts.
Her attendance at the rally comes after the serious abortion news happening over in the US amid the leaked draft ruling of the overturned Roe V Wade decision. For a full explainer on that, you can head here.
As for Stoker, when she was asked on Sky News why she attended the rally given her ministerial position, she said her presence was “entirely consistent with the duties of a minister for women”.
She went on to suggest that part of her role as a women’s minister meant she plans to support the 50 per cent of unborn babies who are girls.
Needless to say, her comments have been met with criticism from many in the women’s rights and reproductive rights space.
To read more on this issue, you can look at Mamamia’s News Editor Gem Bath’s piece here: 'I had a guttural reaction to the US abortion news. It sets a dangerous precedent for Australia.'
NZ agency cleared over White Island volcano blast.
New Zealand’s emergency management agency has been cleared of safety breaches over the 2019 White Island volcano eruption that killed 22 people, including 14 Australians.
A charge accusing the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) of health and safety breaches leading up to the tragedy was dismissed.
The volcano, also known as Whakaari, erupted in December 2019, leading to the deaths of 22 people from burns and blast injuries. Dozens more suffered serious injuries. The dead and injured were tourists and their guides visiting the volcano.
NEMA was one of 13 parties that safety watchdog WorkSafe charged with breaching the Health and Safety at Work Act at the island. WorkSafe said NEMA did not appropriately communicate risks to the land-owners and public, with the charge carrying a maximum penalty of $NZ1.5 million ($A1.365 million).
The Judge said the emergency agency could not be held accountable under New Zealand's work health and safety legislation. Another 11 parties facing safety breach charges have pleaded not guilty and go to trial next year.
- With AAP.
New evidence in Madeleine McCann case, and all the news you need to know this morning.
We're hearing lots of debate about women's abortion rights come out of the US at the moment.
Yesterday, I rounded up everything you need to know about America's famous Roe V Wade decision and why it may get overturned. You can read all about it here.
But first, let's get you across the top five news stories you need to know about today, Thursday May 5.
1. "We are sure that he is the murderer." New evidence in Madeleine McCann case.
Investigators have found new evidence potentially incriminating the key suspect in the disappearance of British toddler Madeleine McCann 15 years ago, says German prosecutor Hans Christian Wolters,
In an interview with Portuguese TV channel CMTV on Tuesday, Wolters, who has been investigating the case since 2020, said detectives believed they had found "some facts, some new evidence" adding, "We are sure that he (Brueckner) is the murderer of Madeleine McCann."
‘Some new evidence’ found against Madeleine McCann suspect https://t.co/pu9CeMYsOQ— The Guardian (@guardian) May 4, 2022
Convicted child abuser and drug trader Christian Brueckner, who is behind bars in Germany for raping a woman in the same area where Madeleine went missing in 2007, was formally identified as an official suspect last month.
It was the first time a Portuguese prosecutor had identified a suspect in the case since Kate and Gerry McCann, Madeleine's parents, were named suspects in 2007. They were later cleared.
Brueckner, 45, has denied involvement in the disappearance of Madeleine from her bedroom during a family holiday.
There has been speculation that evidence linked to Madeleine was found in the camper van Brueckner had used at the time of her disappearance.
The CMTV journalist asked Wolters if he denied those claims and he responded: "I don't want to deny it."
The camper van has been in the possession of German police since June 2020, when authorities started to seek information on Brueckner.
2. PM promises new jobs as Labor pushes for economic reform.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison will spruik a new small business pledge, while Anthony Albanese will make his pitch to industry leaders, as the focus of the federal election campaign turns to the leaders' economic credentials.
Morrison said the coalition would look to create 400,000 new small businesses during the next five years, should the government be re-elected.
The government also announced it would spend $17.9 million on the Business Energy Advice Program to help small businesses be more efficient, in an attempt to cut back on power bills.
"We have the track record to set the conditions that help businesses, and our ambitious pledge will see 400,000 more join the economy," Morrison said.
Meanwhile, Labor leader Anthony Albanese will address the Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry in Sydney and pitch the need for economic reform.
"A country cannot keep drawing from an old well, because the well eventually dries out," he will say."Australia needs a new playbook to seize the future."
Among the measures proposed by Albanese is universal childcare, which he said would help increase workforce participation.
3. Russia 'intensifies’ attack on Ukraine, and may formally declare war within days.
Ukraine says a Russian offensive in eastern Ukraine is intensifying, nearly 10 weeks into a war that has killed thousands of people and uprooted millions.
According to Ukraine's defence ministry, nearly 50 air strikes were carried out on Tuesday alone. Russia has also stepped up strikes on targets in western Ukraine, saying it was disrupting Western arms deliveries.
A new convoy of buses began removing more civilians from the ravaged southeastern port city of Mariupol, which has had the heaviest fighting of the war so far and where Russia said remaining Ukrainian forces remained tightly blockaded.
Western officials believe Putin could formally declare war on Ukraine within days.
The announcement is believed to come on May 9, which is known as "Victory Day" as it Russia commemorates the Soviet Union's victory over Nazi Germany in World War II.
Russian President Vladimir Putin could formally declare war on Ukraine as soon as May 9, a move that would enable the full mobilization of Russia's reserve forces as invasion efforts continue to falter, US and Western officials believe https://t.co/L4vLr5TnuV— CNN (@CNN) May 3, 2022
However, the Kremlin on Wednesday dismissed speculation.
4. Judge overseeing Derek Chauvin case accepts plea deal.
Fromer Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin, who was found guilty of killing George Floyd, has had his plea deal accepted by a US judge.
Under the agreement, both sides agreed Chauvin should face a sentence from 20 to 25 years.
With credit for good time, he's expected to serve from 17 years to 21 years and three months.
The federal judge is yet to set a sentencing date.
The federal judge presiding over the cases of the four Minneapolis police officers implicated in the killing of George Floyd has accepted Derek Chauvin’s plea deal and will sentence him to 20 to 25 years in prison. https://t.co/fpgYRnZeNB— CNN Breaking News (@cnnbrk) May 4, 2022
In December last year, Chauvin pleaded guilty for violating George Floyd's civil rights, at the federal level.
This sentence would be served concurrently with the 22 and a half year sentence tied to his murder conviction at the state level.
5. Couple charged with Amber Haigh’s murder 20 years after she disappeared.
A man and woman have been charged with murder over the suspicious disappearance of teenage mother, Amber Haigh, almost 20 years ago.
The pair, both aged 61, were arrested at a property in southwestern NSW about 7.30am yesterday and have been charged with one count each of murder.
The man was also charged with aggravated sexual assault of a victim with serious intellectual disability, NSW Police said in a statement.
20 years after a teenage mother vanished from a NSW country town, the homicide squad has arrested the couple she was living with at the time.— 9News Sydney (@9NewsSyd) May 4, 2022
Police allege Amber Haigh was killed just five months after she had a baby with the man now accused of her murder. @em_partridge #9News pic.twitter.com/GfIlpMrllr
Haigh was reported missing on June 19, 2002 after failing to return to her home at Kingsvale, a town in the South West Slopes, where she and her six-month-old son had been living with a married couple.
Police were told the couple dropped the young mother at Campbelltown station on June 5 and she intended to travel by train to Mt Druitt in western Sydney to visit her sick father in hospital. Later that night, money was withdrawn from her bank account at a Campbelltown ATM.
NSW Police last week announced the reward for information about the cold case had been increased from $100,000 to $1 million.
"I know in my heart that she would never have left her son," Haigh's heartbroken mother said in a voice message released last week.
The couple were refused bail and will face court today.
You're all up to speed. We'll be back to bring you more top stories throughout the day.
- With AAP.
Mamamia Votes: Where does everyone stand on healthcare?
With little over two weeks until the federal election, The Quicky is continuing with our election series looking at where each of the major parties stand on the issues you highlighted as the most important in our recent Mamamia Votes survey.
In this episode, each of the major parties health spokespeople and a key independent, who is also a GP, outline where they stand on healthcare, and what you can expect from them if you decide to vote them in on May 21.
- What women were talking about on Wednesday
- What women were talking about on Tuesday
- What women were talking about on Monday.
Feature Image: Variety/Warner Bros. Pictures.