The cruel act of domestic violence that shook Lisa Wilkinson.

This post deals with domestic violence and may be distressing for some readers.

At 17 years old, Kyesha Finemore’s ex-boyfriend doused her in petrol and set her alight.

The cruel attack left Kyesha with serious burns to 21 per cent of her body – including her arms, legs and upper body.

The Brisbane girl’s injuries were so severe, she had to be placed into an induced coma for 24 hours and undergo three skingrafts.

For months, Kyesha and her boyfriend Brae Lewis, also 17, had multiple violent fights – including a previous failed attempt to light Kyesha on fire.

Now, after two years of recovering from the trauma, Kyesha has sat down with The Sunday Projectfor an interview which left presenter Lisa Wilkinson visibly shaken.

The Sunday Project
Lisa Wilkinson interviews Kyesha Finemore on The Sunday Project.

In the lead up to the attack, Kyesha said she was sitting in her car outside their home in Marsden, Queensland.

"We started arguing and I pushed him and he pushed me, he sat down in the car with his legs out of the car," she said.

"And I was standing at the end of the door and we were arguing and he threw the petrol at me and as he threw it he came around with the lighter and he lit it."

Kyesha lit alight instantly, falling into a bin as she attempted to put out the flames.

"I was freaking out and scared that I was going to die. I kinda froze, and looked down at my skin peeling and rolled all up and blood coming out of my arms and stuff," Kyesha said.

"I remember just panicking and stopping and screaming the loudest scream I've ever done."

Kyesha was found by a neighbour, who rushed the girl to the hospital. By this point, Brae had already fled the scene.

"It hurt, it really, really hurt, because he couldn't even wait around for the ambulance to get there," Kyesha said.

The Sunda Project
Kyesha Finemore. Image: The Project.

Brae Lewis, now 19, was found guilty of a malicious act intended to cause grievous bodily harm earlier this month.

He was sentenced to 11 years in jail.

The conviction has been a significant relief for Kyesha, who has been left with permanent scarring from the attack.

"At least I'm not going to be scared to walk down the shops or scared to just go see a friend or you now it's just a relief really," she said.

Lisa Wilkinson agreed: "It's what he deserves".

If you or someone you know is impacted by sexual assault, domestic or family violence, call 1800RESPECT on 1800 737 732 or visit In an emergency, call 000.