news

A woman has gone blind in one eye from having dermal fillers injected into her face.

Doctors are warning of the dangers of cosmetic procedures after an Australian woman was left permanently blind in one eye after receiving a dermal filler at a beauty clinic.

A woman was admitted to Sydney’s Prince of Wales Hospital in April. Doctor’s fought to save her sight, but were unable to restore the vision in her right eye, Four Corners reports.

It is reported that the filler was injected into her face by a nurse at a beauty clinic without a doctor present.

Prince of Wales Hospital ophthalmologist, Dr John Downie treated the patient and said it was “alarming” that a patient could go blind from what is marketed as a simple cosmetic procedure.

“The problem I get is that people perceive a cosmetic procedure to have limited or no risk and only upside, and that’s not the case,” Dr Downie told ABC.

Dr Downie explained that blindness can occur when an artery is blocked by the dermal filler if it is injected into one of the blood vessels in the skin around or under the eye.

The filler goes back along that artery to one of the larger arteries around the eye where it can block off the blood vessels going to the eye, or inside the eye.

ADVERTISEMENT

Though this is an Australian first, in 2017 Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons president Professor Mark Ashton told Mamamia that consumers needed to be wary as there has been more than 100 cases of patients going blind worldwide.

Dr Ashton said the risk could be minimised by customers ensuring they are receiving the injections from properly trained professionals and by asking them questions.

“If you go to a clinic and you can’t see evidence of appropriate and significant training or if they’re not able to explain to you about the vascular anatomy of the face and how they’re going to prevent the filler complication… then I certainly wouldn’t risk having fillers in that facility,” he said.

FROM OUR NETWORK
00:00 / ???