news

News in 5: Prince Harry's advice to grieving boy; Mick Gatto's son dies; Nurse's mass murder.

-With AAP

1. Prince Harry’s words of comfort to six-year-old boy who lost his mother to suicide.


Prince Harry knows about heartache. His mother, the late Princess Diana, died with he was only 12.

Yesterday, during his and wife Meghan Markle’s royal tour of New Zealand, Harry met a boy he could relate to. In Auckland, Harry met six-year-old Otia Nante, whose mother recently took her life.

As reported by News Corp, the Duke of Sussex gave Otia some heartfelt advice: “Everything will be OK – look at me,” he told the child.

Otia’s grandmother Te Nante now looks after her grandson.

“Harry just said ‘everything will be fine, you will grow up to be strong and positive’,” she told News Corp.

Harry told Nante she was doing a great job raising her grandson, saying: “Nans are so important in our lives.”

Today is the last day of Prince Harry and Meghan’s royal tour of Australia, Fiji, Tonga and New Zealand. They will spend the day in Rotorua, visiting a Marae and naming two newly hatched kiwi chicks at Rainbow Springs.

They will return to Wellington tonight and begin their trip back home to London on Thursday.

Anyone needing support is urged to contact beyondblue (1800 22 4636) or Lifeline on 13 11 14.

2. The son of gangland figure Mick Gatto has been found dead.

A man who died after falling from a central Melbourne apartment block was reportedly the son of underworld figure Mick Gatto.

The Docklands man was found dead just after midnight, police confirmed on Tuesday, with the Herald Sun later naming him as Justin Gatto.

The 34-year-old had previously worked at his father’s crane company as a rigger.

ADVERTISEMENT

Justin was the youngest of Mr Gatto’s four children and a keen boxing enthusiast.

Tributes have been posted on social media, many sending condolences to the close-knit Gatto family.

“No family deserves to have this happen to them. Rest in peace Justin,” one friend posted.

The death is not being treated as suspicious and police are preparing a report for the coroner.

Mick Gatto is best known as one of the few survivors of Melbourne’s Gangland War.

He was acquitted of the 2005 murder of gangland hitman Andrew “Benji” Veniamin on the grounds of self-defence.

Anyone needing support is urged to contact beyondblue (1300 22 4636) or Lifeline on 13 11 14.

3. A former German nurse has admitted to the mass murder of 100 patients.

A former nurse on trial for mass murder in northern Germany has admitted to killing 100 patients.

Niels Hoegel’s trial has opened in the northwest city of Oldenburg.

When asked by the presiding Judge Sebastian Buehrmann whether the 100 allegations of abusing patients to death were largely true, Hoegel replied, “yes”.

Hoegel is accused of carrying out the murders between February 2000 and June 2005 in hospitals in the cities of Oldenburg and Delmenhorst.

He is accused of randomly selecting patients – from age 34 to 96 – and then injecting them with medication that led to heart failure or other complications so he could try to resuscitate them.

The prosecutor claims he did this out of boredom or to impress his colleagues with his medical skills.

ADVERTISEMENT

Hoegel was caught by another nurse in 2005. More than 130 bodies have since been exhumed for tests, including two in Turkey.

Police looked at 200 suspicious cases, but many patients who died at the two hospitals where Hoegel worked were cremated and could therefore offer no evidence.

Hoegel is already serving a life sentence for six other crimes.

The trial began on Tuesday with a minute’s silence for the victims.

“All their relatives deserve that they are honoured,” Judge Buehrmann said.

“We will strive to seek the truth with all our strength.”

4. Woman who accused Barnaby Joyce of sexual harassment to deliver speech.

The West Australian woman who accused former deputy prime minister Barnaby Joyce of sexual harassment will deliver her first public speech on the issue.

Former West Australian Rural Woman of the Year Catherine Marriott made the complaint confidentially to the National Party in February but the allegations soon leaked.

Last month, Ms Marriott said she was extremely disappointed that after an eight-month investigation, the NSW branch had been unable to make a determination about her complaint.

“While dismayed at the finding, I am not surprised as the party never had the external processes in place to deal with a complaint of sexual harassment by a member of parliament,” she said in a statement.

“While it has come at enormous personal expense, I was not prepared to walk past this kind of behaviour any longer.

“I am pleased I stood up for what I believed was right and I’m proud I found the courage to make a difference for other people who want to create influence through political circles in future.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Ms Marriott will speak at a Rural, Regional, Remote Women’s Network of WA lunch in Perth on Wednesday.

“Eight months on she has put aside personal distress to effect real change for women who find themselves in similar situations,” the network said.

“#UsToo will be the first address Catherine gives on this subject.”

Mr Joyce has described the allegations as defamatory.

5. Donald Trump flags he wants to put an end to birthright citizenship.

US President Donald Trump says he wants to order the end of the constitutional right to citizenship for babies of non-citizens and unauthorised immigrants born in the United States.

The president’s comments to Axios on HBO come amid a renewed push for hardline immigration policies before the midterm elections.

Trump believes focusing on immigration will energise his supporters and help Republicans keep control of Congress.

Revoking birthright citizenship would spark a court fight over the president’s unilateral ability to change an amendment to the Constitution.

The 14th Amendment guarantees that right for children born in the US.

Asked about the legality of such an executive order, Trump said, “They’re saying I can do it just with an executive order.”

Trump said White House lawyers are reviewing his proposal.

It’s unclear how quickly he’d act on an executive order.