1. Woman reports parents to police after discovering they are brother and sister.
Three years on from learning of her parent’s incestuous relationship via Facebook, 32-year-old Donna Price says if forced to go back in time, she would still make the same difficult decision and report her mother and father to police again.
“I feel my childhood was all based on a lie. I hate them,” Price said when speaking to The Sun.
She continued, “There’s not enough words to describe how much I hate them.”
Having grown up in what she believed to be a normal family in the UK, it wasn’t until December 2014 – when Price was already a parent herself – that she learned her parents were actually brother and sister and the life that she had previously known came crashing down.
Receiving a Facebook message from an estranged relative about their relationship, Price says she initially believed the story was just a cruel joke, with “somebody just trying to stir up stuff.”
But after reaching out to another relative, she received the news that changed her life forever. Price says, “her [Facebook] reply was yes, they are brother and sister.”
“I felt sick and my stomach just dropped.”
It was then that Price made the difficult decision to report her parents to police, a move that kick-started a two-year-long investigation and saw both her mother and father plead guilty to charges of incest in court last month.
As part of the case, Price and her siblings were forced to undergo DNA tests, and it was at this time that Pirce learned she had a different, still unknown, father than her siblings.
Both parents received suspended sentences and narrowly avoided jail time.
No longer in contact with her parents and refusing to call them mum and dad, Price described the experience as “horrendous” and said it was “one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do.”
“But I still would have done the same thing again.”
2. Brisbane boxer Jeff Horn celebrates while US fans vent their fury.
A ticker-tape parade in Brisbane beckons for Jeff Horn after he etched his name into Australian sporting folklore.
But the former schoolteacher will have to confront a hysterical overseas reaction to his win over Manny Pacquiao as he adjusts to life as a world champion.
Horn is the new owner of the WBO welterweight belt after a controversial points victory against Pacquiao on Sunday in a brutal slugfest at Suncorp Stadium, AAP reports.
The unanimous decision in favour of the 29-year-old has prompted a storm of debate over the scorecards, with a host of prominent US celebrities, broadcasters and sports stars weighing in, and some even suggesting the outcome was rigged.
Judges Waleksa Roldan (117-111), Chris Flores (115-113) and Ramon Cerdan (115-113) adjudicated the fight. Roldan and Flores are from the United States and Cerdan is from Argentina, yet there have been accusations it was a hometown decision.
According to CompuBox statistics, Horn landed just 92 punches to Pacquaio’s 182, but some rounds were tight and difficult to score.
The controversy will not bother a beat-up looking Horn, whose right eye was completely closed over as he toasted his victory with family, friends and supporters at Brisbane’s Treasury Hotel on Sunday night.
It kicked off a week of celebrations for Horn, who is to appear with Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk and Brisbane Lord Mayor Graham Quirk – Horn’s cousin – on Monday morning for a media opportunity as his coronation as a local hero continues.
However, the perception among US fight fans that he did not deserve to beat Pacquiao will be something he has to deal with as he moves forward in his career, particularly with big-money fights against top-line welterweights in Las Vegas and New York now firmly on his radar.
Top Rank supremo Bob Arum, the man who opened the door to the US market for Horn, said he felt the win was fair.
“It could have gone either way,” Arum said. “A couple of close rounds, but you can’t argue with the result.”
3. 21-year-old woman found with “head-to-toe” injuries at home in Brisbane.
Police say the injuries suffered by a young woman found alone in a Brisbane unit are horrific and have appealed for a panicked caller who alerted authorities to come forward.
The 21-year-old is fighting for her life after she was found with injuries to her whole body at a Bulimba unit on Sunday, AAP reports.
“A male rang triple-0 in a very panicked voice and said that there was a female at that address that required medical treatment,” Inspector Daniel Bragg told ABC radio.
“The female sustained significant injuries to the front of her entire body, significant injuries from head to toe.”
The woman did not live at the property and police desperately want the caller to come forward, and have also appealed for anyone who might know her to contact them.
The woman was taken to the Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital in a critical condition.
4. Bill Shorten vows to bring back Sunday penalty rates.
Bill Shorten is standing firm and vowing to reverse a decision to cut Sunday penalty rates for some workers as changes come into force, AAP reports.
Sunday marks the first day some workers’ rates will be cut following a February decision by the Fair Work Commission, affecting employees in retail, fast food, pharmacy and hospitality.
The opposition leader used a rally in Caboolture in Queensland to repeat his pledge to reinstate penalty rates within 100 days of taking office.
“I will protect workers’ take home pay and I will also reverse the tax cuts for millionaires which Malcolm Turnbull gave them yesterday,” he told reporters.
The government insists the decision to align Sunday rates with Saturday was made by an independent umpire, which was set up by Labor when it was in power.
But Mr Shorten said the opposition now wouldn’t be standing by and seeing the pay packets of workers reduced.
“I ask Malcolm Turnbull – how much harm has to be done before you will decide to stop using that fatuous ‘leave it to the umpire, wash my hands of the problem’ approach,” he said.
The issue would be left up to the biggest independent umpire – the Australian voters – at the next election, Mr Shorten added.
Shadow treasurer Chris Bowen added his voice to the criticism, telling reporters in Sydney it was the first time since the Great Depression that workers had received “a pay cut such as this”.
“Not as a part of bargaining, not as part of a trade-off, but a straight pay cut,” Mr Bowen said.
Lawyers have reminded workers to check their pay slips to make sure they aren’t being short-changed.
The cuts to Sunday rates will be phased in over the next few years and won’t fully hit hospitality and fast food workers until 2019 and retail and pharmacy workers until 2020.
5. Couple terrorised by two men in alleged machete attack at their Gold Coast home.
Two men will front Southport Magistrates Court on Monday accused of attacking a Gold Coast couple with a machete, AAP reports.
An 18-year-old and 35-year-old man were arrested by police on Saturday following an incident at a Coombabah property in the early hours of the morning.
A couple saw the men outside their home after they were woken by a noise about 2am.
The men were believed to be attempting to steal items from neighbouring homes and construction sites, but fled when they were challenged by the couple.
Police alleged the attackers returned about 3.50am and struck the 34-year-old man and 35-year-old woman with a machete.
They were both taken to Gold Coast University Hospital for treatment.
The men were each charged with one count of unlawful possession of stolen property and two counts of acts intended to maim, disfigure or disable.
6. Fund set up to help Cardinal George Pell pay to fight historic sexual abuse charges.
Supporters of George Pell have reportedly set up a fund to help the cardinal fight multiple, historical sexual abuse charges.
Details of the fund emerged after the Catholic Church said it would not pay Cardinal Pell’s legal fees after Victoria Police charged the Vatican’s 76-year-old finance chief on summons last Thursday, AAP reports.
News Corp Australia reports that a bank account has been set up for donations to help Cardinal Pell when he returns to Melbourne from Rome to fight the charges.
John Roskam, the head of the Institute of Public Affairs conservative think tank, said he had been given bank account details for people wanting to assist Cardinal Pell with his legal bills.
“The point of this (fund) is that there are a lot of people who want to support the cardinal and want to give him the opportunity to clear his name,” Mr Roskam told News Corp.
Australia’s most senior Catholic insists he is innocent and is looking forward to fighting the charges in court.
Sydney Archbishop Anthony Fisher has said that the Sydney archdiocese will assist with Cardinal Pell’s accommodation when he returns to Australia but will not pay his legal bills.
A filing hearing will be held in the Melbourne Magistrates Court on July 26.
Do you have a story to share with Mamamia? Email us: [email protected]