news

The Canadian teen fugitives suspected of killing Lucas Fowler and two other people have been found dead, & more in News in 5.

With AAP.

1. The Canadian teen fugitives suspected of killing NSW man Lucas Fowler and two other people have been found dead.

Canadian police have found two bodies, ending a massive three-week manhunt for the teenagers suspected of killing NSW man Lucas Fowler and two other people.

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police announced on Wednesday they discovered the bodies of fugitives Kam McLeod and Bryer Schmegelsky, in dense bush near the Nelson River and the small town of Gillam, Manitoba.

At about 10am on Wednesday Manitoba time (2am Thursday AEST) RCMP officers “located two male bodies, in the dense brush, within 1km from where the items were found”.

RCMP Manitoba assistant commissioner Jane MacLatchy told reporters said she was “confident” it was the McLeod and Schmegelsky, but declined to say if the teenagers had suffered injuries or provide details about how they may have died.

“To the families of everyone affected by the series of events over the last few weeks, I know it has been so very difficult and I hope today’s announcement can begin to bring some closure,” she said.

It ends a manhunt spanning weeks and more than 3000 kilometres across northern Canada, after the pair were first reported missing following three murders in remote British Columbia before a twist that saw them named as suspects.

Kam McLeod Bryer Schmegelsky
Kam McLeod and Bryer Schmegelsky as seen on CCTV in July. Image: BCRCMP.

Canada-wide warrants were issued for McLeod and Schmegelsky after Canadian authorities officially charged the pair with second-degree murder of Vancouver man Leonard Dyck, whose body was discovered near their burned out Dodge in northern British Columbia on July 19.

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police deployed a massive contingent of personnel and were assisted by Royal Canadian Air Force planes equipped with infra-red cameras and imaging radar to search 11,000 square kilometres around the town of Gillam and surrounding wilderness, but last week announced the search would be scaled back.

ADVERTISEMENT

More than 500 homes and buildings were canvassed and train tracks, trails and other locations were searched but authorities failed to make any confirmed sightings.

Earlier this week, authorities discovered belongings of the two murder accused near the Nelson River close to a damaged aluminium boat, about 8km from where the duo dumped their Toyota RAV4 getaway car on July 22.

The RCMP would not say what the items were, other than they were "directly linked to the suspects".

The RCMP sent in dive teams on the weekend to scan the river and searchers went into the thick scrub around the area.

The teenagers from Vancouver Island were suspected of killing Mr Fowler, his US girlfriend Chynna Deese and botanist Leonard Dyck along British Columbia highways last month and then fleeing 3000km west to Gillam, Manitoba.

Mr Fowler, 23, the son of a high-ranking NSW police officer, and his girlfriend Ms Deese, 24, were found shot dead and left in a ditch on the side of a highway on July 15.

Mr Dyck was discovered four days later on another BC highway and 2km away from an abandoned and burning pick-up truck Schmegelsky and McLeod had been driving.

2. William Tyrell's is "one of the world's hardest cases" because of a 'sneaky, complex' abductor, an inquest has heard.

No forensic evidence, no known eyewitnesses and a "sneaky, complex" abductor make the disappearance of William Tyrrell among the world's hardest cases to solve, an inquest has been told.

Dressed in a Spider-Man outfit, the three-year-old vanished while playing in the garden of his foster grandmother's home in the small NSW mid-north coast town of Kendall on September 12, 2014.

william tyrell inquest 2019
William Tyrrell has been missing since 2014. Image: Supplied.
ADVERTISEMENT

Despite hundreds of claimed sightings, intense searches of nearby bush and dozens of interviews, police still have no fixed conclusions on where William went, counsel assisting the coroner Gerald Craddock SC told the NSW Coroners Court on Wednesday.

He said 97 per cent of child abductions in the United States involved family members or close acquaintances but a stranger could have taken the boy.

"The present state of evidence is if William was murdered - and that's a big if - it may be one of those rare, three per cent of cases," Mr Craddock told the inquest.

"(For cases with no eyewitnesses and no evidence) worldwide, these cases have proven the most difficult to solve."

Mr Craddock said William was likely taken by car and police remained of the belief they could solve the case.

"The offender is a sneaky, complex offender who has hidden their desires for some time and has chosen to act on those desires."

The inquest resumed on Wednesday for the second round of hearings in Sydney and Taree, set to focus on the police investigation to find William.

In 2018, during a fresh investigation of the case, police intensely searched more than 40 hectares of bush immediately surrounding the foster grandmother's home.

The inquest was told toys, backpacks, shovels, animal bones and a speargun were among the items uncovered - but none were deemed to be related to three-year-old's mysterious disappearance

Mr Craddock said people treated the forest as a convenient place to dump all manner of things.

Detective Sergeant Laura Beacroft, who helped organise a new land search in 2018, said she understood that was the first time police were looking for evidence of deliberate human intervention and not just signs of misadventure.

"My understanding was it was a new notion," she said.

Another police officer involved in the search, Senior Constable Daniel Dring, agreed no stone was left unturned in the search area during the 20-day search by dozens of police and other emergency services personnel.

"I trust the team and I trust the method and I am extremely confident William was not in the area," Snr Const Dring told the inquest.

Jailed people and police detectives would be among about 54 witnesses to give evidence during the hearings in Sydney and Taree until August 30, Mr Craddock said.

ADVERTISEMENT

He stressed any suggestion that those called to give evidence were suspects was "simply wrong".

"This is an inquest and not a criminal trial," he said.

"There has not yet been a conclusive breakthrough (in the police investigation), otherwise someone would have been charged and we wouldn't be here."

Former detective inspector Gary Jubelin, who led the fresh investigation into William's disappearance, was among those to attend the inquest on Wednesday.

He has pleaded not guilty to four charges of illegally recording conversations while leading the investigation in late 2017 and 2018.

The inquest will resume on Thursday.

Listen to The Quicky debrief on the truth about William Tyrrell's parents, and what happened after the three-year-old's disappearance. Post continues below.

3. "An outrageous act of evil." A Perth man has been found guilty of murdering his ex-partner during a courthouse mediation session.

A man trained in "commando" techniques who killed his ex-partner by repeatedly stabbing her at a Perth court complex has been found guilty of murdering the mother-of-two, a crime described as an "outrageous act of evil".

Paul Gary Turner, 43, smuggled a knife into a pre-trial conference with Sarah Marie Thomas at Joondalup Justice Complex in December 2016 and stabbed her six times, including three times in the neck.

One of the stabs severed the 33-year-old's carotid artery, which killed her within seconds.

Turner was captured on CCTV footage sitting in the waiting room outside the meeting before the attack, peering into a lever arch folder.

ADVERTISEMENT

Prosecutor James Mactaggart says he either hid the knife in there or in his pocket.

About four minutes into the meeting, the registrar ran out of the room before Turner emerged and slid against a wall to the floor, where he sat until detectives and security guards rushed over to arrest him.

At his Supreme Court of WA trial, he wept as he claimed the last thing he recalled on the morning of the killing was speaking with their children.

Turner said his next memory was being in a police station with blood on his hands.

He insisted that after he had an accident while working as a truck driver in 2015, he suffered symptoms including seizures that caused blackouts, sometimes lasting more than 45 minutes.

Mr Mactaggart dismissed Turner's claims as "a pack of absolute lies", saying he was fully aware of what he was doing, and had spent more than 100 hours getting neurological tests but his results kept coming back normal.

He was humiliated Ms Thomas had got the better of him in a bitter custody dispute, obtaining a court order to recover the children days earlier, and she refused to settle with him at the meeting over his claim she owed him money, the prosecutor said.

Defence counsel Lisa Boston argued her client had experienced insane automatism, telling the jury in her closing address that it would have been "bonkers" for a man trained in commando knife techniques to knowingly kill someone in a complex packed with security guards and police.

Turner trained in lethal artery-slashing and knife concealment when he was aged in his late 20s, and continued to practice during his eight-year relationship with Ms Thomas.

Asked about this interest, Turner replied it was "for the historic aspect" as he studied the Fairbairn system used in WWII.

The jury took about two hours to deliver the verdict, which drew gasps and sobs from his supporters in the public gallery.

Turner will face a sentencing hearing on October 15.

Mr Mactaggart flagged he would call on Justice Joseph McGrath to impose a life jail term with a high minimum period, describing the crime as an "outrageous act of evil".

Outside court, Ms Thomas' father told reporters: "There's no winners in this case, just justice for Sarah".

Her brother said she was greatly missed.

4. Roberta Williams, the wife of slain gangland figure Carl Williams, has made bail after allegedly kidnapping and threatening to kill a man.

Gangland widow Roberta Williams has won a bid for bail after being charged with kidnapping and making threats to kill in Melbourne, allegedly linked to her plans for a reality TV show.

ADVERTISEMENT

The 50-year-old widow of convicted killer Carl Williams - who was murdered in prison - has been charged alongside three men after they allegedly threatened to kill a man who was working on a screen production about Williams' life.

She was bailed in Melbourne Magistrates Court on Wednesday, despite police concerns she posed an unacceptable risk to the alleged victim and would try and flee the county.

But magistrate Robert Kumar noted Williams has an eight-year-old autistic son who requires around-the-clock care, so agreed to release her from custody with strict conditions.

She must adhere to a curfew and cannot associate with her co-accused or contact witnesses.

Williams must report daily to police and provide a $10,000 surety.

She is yet to walk from the courthouse.

Williams and her co-accused allegedly beat, tied up and threatened to kill a man at Collingwood on July 9, after he had agreed to work on her planned TV show about her life.

Williams allegedly screamed "kill the c***".

"He is no use to us anymore," she allegedly said.

Williams' barrister, Theo Alexander, told the court the allegations were fabricated and pointed to the alleged victims' history of dishonesty offences.

"I'm going to suggest to you that this is just fabricated rubbish," he told the court.

Williams was arrested during a series of raids across Melbourne on Wednesday morning.

Wearing handcuffs, she swore at a TV reporter as she was led to a police car ahead of hours of questioning by detectives.

ADVERTISEMENT

Three other men were arrested during the raids. Two faced similar charges to Williams and a third, aged 27, continues to be questioned.

Last month, a 36-year-old Princess Hill man was charged with the same offences over the same alleged assault.

He is due back in court on October 8, along with Williams.

5. Medic accused of sexually abusing two women while providing first aid at a Sydney train station.

A medic has been granted bail after he allegedly sexually abused two young women while providing first aid at a Sydney train station.

Peter John Thistlethwaite, 38, was arrested at a home in Jannali on Wednesday morning and charged with two counts of aggravated sexually touching another person.

It followed an investigation into reports two women had been assaulted by a man while receiving first aid at Redfern train station on July 26.

Police allege Thistlethwaite used his position to inappropriately touch the women, aged 21 and 25, during separate examinations.

He was stood down from his role as a privately employed medic during the investigation.

His matter was briefly mentioned at Sutherland Local Court on Wednesday and he was granted bail.

Under his bail conditions, Thistlethwaite must report to police daily, not enter within five kilometres of Shellharbour or Wolli Creek except when travelling to court and he is not to work in any medical or hospital services.

Thistlethwaite is next due at the Sydney Downing Centre on August 28.

00:00 / ???