news

"You have stolen my dreams and my childhood." Greta Thunberg delivers a powerful speech at the United Nations, & more in news in 5.

– With AAP.

1. “You have stolen my dreams and my childhood.” Greta Thunberg delivers a powerful speech at the United Nations.

Greta Thunberg has delivered a powerful speech at the United Nations headquarters telling the world leaders they have “stolen her dreams and her childhood”.

The speech came as more than 50 world leaders – with the exception of Prime Minister Scott Morrison and US President Donald Trump – appeared at the Climate Action Summit in New York.

16-year-old Thunberg said young people would never forgive the world leaders if they failed to take action on climate change.

“This is all wrong,” she said. “I shouldn’t be up here. I should be back in school on the other side of the ocean. Yet you all come to us young people for hope. How dare you. You have stolen my dreams and my childhood with your empty words and yet I’m one of the lucky ones. People are suffering. People are dying. Entire ecosystems are collapsing.”

“You say you hear us, and that you understand the urgency… I do not want to believe that. “Because if you really understood the situation, and still kept on failing to act, then you would be evil. And that I refuse to believe.”

“We will not let you get away with this,” Thunberg continued. “Right now is where we draw the line. The world is waking up. And change is coming, whether you like it or not ”

“If you choose to fail us, I say we will never forgive you.”

Leaders who spoke at the climate summit included New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern, German Chancellor Angela Merkel, French President Emmanuel Macron, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and British Prime Minister Boris Johnson.

2. Tamil family told to get used to detention because they won’t be returning to the mainland.

ADVERTISEMENT

A Tamil family fighting deportation has been told to get comfortable in detention on Christmas Island as they face a long wait for a Federal Court trial.

Sri Lankan couple Nadesalingam and Priya Murugappan and their Australian-born daughters Kopika, four, and Tharunicaa, two, on Monday remained on Christmas Island where they have been told to get used to their detention conditions.

“(Border Force officials) have told the family they need to learn to adjust to what they’re got on Christmas Island because they’re not going to be brought back to the mainland,” Tamil Refugee Council spokesman Aran Mylvaganam told AAP after speaking to the family.

“Priya, she is saying that she came from the war zone and regardless of how difficult it is, she’s able to put up with it.

“But it’s the children that she’s worried about, who were born here.”

Kopika was constantly asking when the family would be able to leave Christmas Island, where they were moved last month.

“She isn’t coping well,” Mr Mylvaganam said.

Supporters want the family returned to their adopted Queensland home town of Biloela.

Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton’s office has confirmed the family won’t be returning to mainland Australia while their case is being determined.

It’s expected to be months before a trial decides whether Tharunicaa’s bid for a protection visa should be accepted by the Australian government. Her parents and sibling have already been denied refugee status.

Even if the court finds in favour of the visa application being permitted, the visa approval will be at the discretion of Mr Dutton.

Priya says her family is being put through “mental torture,” according to Mr Mylvaganam, who adds their every interaction is being filmed by security guards.

3. “This is great for the game.” Folau set for league return with Tonga.

ADVERTISEMENT

Israel Folau is attempting to make a stunning return to rugby league after being registered to play for Tonga in two Tests later this year.

The Tongan National Rugby League (TNRL) claim Folau and his brother John will feature against Great Britain and the Kangaroos.

While Folau and new Tonga coach Frank Endacott said the Rugby League International Federation had green-lighted the move, the body itself had yet to issue a statement on the matter.

The TNRL published the Folau news on its Facebook page on Monday.

“I’m so grateful to have the opportunity to represent God, my family, my heritage and the people of Tonga,” Folau said in a statement.

“I am thankful that the RLIF have accepted my availability to play.”

The development comes four months after Folau’s lucrative contract with Rugby Australia was controversially terminated for breaching its code of conduct.

Folau, 30, was deemed guilty of breaching the code over his social media posts which claimed homosexuals are going to hell.

However the dual-international is now attempting a comeback to the 13-a-side game with Tonga, who face Great Britain in Hamilton on October 26.

The Mate Ma’a meet Australia in Auckland on November 2.

Endacott, who was only appointed coach of the national team two weeks ago, welcomed Folau’s return to the game.

“This is great news,” Endacott said.

“These guys are great footballers and bring size, pace and skill to the team. They will make a huge impact in the team and provide exciting attack options all over the park.”

“This will be great boost to the internationals, and I can’t wait to see the crowd support that this will generate from our famous Mate Ma’a Tonga supporters.

ADVERTISEMENT

“And it is good to see the RLIF approving these players for internationals.

“This is great for the game.”

Australian Rugby League Commission chairman Peter Beattie has previously shut the door on any attempt by Folau to return to the NRL.

Beattie is also the deputy chairman of the RLIF.

“Our position on Israel Folau remains the same,” Beattie told AAP in June.

“We are an inclusive game with respect for all. Israel has social media posts online that go against what our game stands for.

“As it stands, he will not be considered for registration. What Israel chooses to do in relation to his social media posts and his faith is a matter for him.”

The TNRL are in the midst of a bitter dispute between their board and a number of NRL stars, led by Jason Taumalolo and Andrew Fifita.

Over a dozen players have threatened to boycott the Test matches unless TNRL chairman George Koloamatangi and secretary Williams Edwards stand down.

Koloamatangi said discussions were ongoing with several players.

“We will field a great team,” he said.

“I am sure the availability of Israel and John (Folau) plus the selection of other great players will bring out the fans to show their support in a way that only Tongans can do.

“I am sure the event managers will be rubbing their hands in expectation of more great international spectacles now that Israel and John have confirmed their availability.”

The statement also said neither Folau brother is eligible to play in the nines tournament on October 19 because it is an NRL event.

Israel has played eight Tests for the Kangaroos after a four-year career in the NRL that included two-year stints at Melbourne and then Brisbane.

4. NSW abortion bill debate to end soon, says MP.

ADVERTISEMENT

A conservative NSW Liberal MP is hopeful the debate over amendments to a bill decriminalising abortion will be wrapped up this week.

Finance Minister Damien Tudehope on Monday said last week’s debate in the upper house was conducted in “good spirit” with a handful of amendments remaining.

Premier Gladys Berejiklian was last week threatened with a leadership spill by three rebel Liberal MPs over her handling of the bill, before Tanya Davies, Matthew Mason-Cox and Lou Amato scrapped the motion.

While Mr Tudehope expects there to be negotiation and discussion around the remaining amendments, he anticipates the debate will finish this week.

“I would hope in the spirit of trying to get the best possible piece of legislation in relation to this act that we will reach some sort of compromise,” he told reporters in Sydney on Monday.

“It’s important when it’s finished there’s a perception in the community that the bill has been debated and hopefully we have the balance right.”

One of the most controversial amendments to be discussed this week is around late-term abortions, which Mr Tudehope expects will take some time.

Mr Tudehope last week moved a failed amendment to ban sex- selection abortions, before introducing another watered-down one which was later approved by the upper house.

The change stated that the NSW parliament opposes sex-selective abortions, and that a future parliamentary report on the issue is to include prevention recommendations.

The upper house has passed several amendments, including one clarifying that doctors must provide appropriate care to babies born alive after a termination.

Ms Berejiklian said MPs were giving due consideration to the very complex issue.

She re-affirmed her position on Monday that she’ll support all amendments moved from the upper house in regards to the bill.

Debate on the remaining amendments to the bill will resume on Tuesday.

5. “She bit right into it.” Victorians find needles in strawberries.

ADVERTISEMENT

Needles have been spiked through strawberries bought in Melbourne shops on two separate occasions in the past month, sparking a police investigation.

A needle was found in a strawberry bought at a Fairfield store on August 25 and reported to police on September 10.

Another strawberry bought at Eltham on Sunday had a metal spike and was reported on Monday.

Melbourne man David Chapman said it was his step-daughter who bit into the strawberry with a needle in it on Sunday.

“(She) bit right into it and a big needle sticking out of it, pretty much the whole length of the strawberry,” he told 3AW radio.

The girl pulled the needle out of her mouth but it felt like something was stuck in her throat.

She went to hospital and was told whatever was lodged in her throat was not a needle and would eventually pass.

Supermarket giant Coles is investigating the Eltham report.

“We have spoken to the customer to follow up their complaint,” a spokeswoman said.

“We have worked with our strawberry suppliers to implement additional control measures to ensure strawberries are inspected before they are sent to supermarkets.

“We have notified the police and will follow up with our supplier to investigate the matter.”

The Fairfield retailer has not been revealed.

“The community is reminded that anyone found to be contaminating food products can be charged with a serious indictable offence with penalties including up to 10 years in jail,” Victoria Police said in a statement.

Last year Australian strawberry growers were rocked as police across the country investigated more than 100 reports of fruit being contaminated with needles and other objects.

Many of the reports were found to be fake or copycat incidents but the scare prompted the federal government to rush through tougher penalties for so-called “food terrorists”.

It caused an eight per cent produce loss to the industry, worth about $12 million.

The industry also received a $1 million relief package, including $350,000 to invest in tamper-proof containers, marketing and training.

00:00 / ???