news

"I was screaming." Sydney grandmother tells of how granddaughter discovered baby brother in hot car, & more in News in 5.

-With AAP.

1. “I was screaming.” Sydney grandmother struggling with guilt after grandson died while locked in a hot car.

A Sydney grandmother has recalled the horrible moment her 22-month-old grandson was found unresponsive in a car by his eight-year-old sister.

Jone Radaniva was found inside a car at the front of a Chester Hill home on February 3. The temperature outside was about 30 degrees.

He and his five siblings were in the care of their grandmother Valerie Rowlands while their mother Samantha was at a football game.

Mamamia’s daily news podcast The Quicky will get you up to speed on what you need to know today…


After returning home from a trip out, their grandmother had asked Jone’s sister to get him out of the car while another child took care Jone’s twin Esala.

The children went to play outside, so Valerie went inside to escape the heat.

“I must have dozed off, and something woke me up, and I looked at the window and Sapphire was at the window wet, and I thought, ‘oh my God, they’re playing in water, the kids,'” Valerie told A Current Affair.

“And I got up and went to the window and opened the window, and I said, ‘Where’s Jone?'”

His sister ran to the car to look for him and came back distraught.

Valerie and Samantha Rowland.
Valerie and Samantha Rowland.

"And then she just came back inside, screaming and crying and she said, 'Nan he's in the car and his eyes are looking at me but he's not talking'."

ADVERTISEMENT

Valerie raced outside and called an ambulance as she desperately tried to get Jone out of the car.

Meanwhile, while at a football game, Samantha received a hysterical voicemail from her mother telling her "I think we've lost Jone".

She returned home and detectives confirmed that her son had died. He had been trapped in the car for two hours.

Struggling with guilt and remorse, Valerie worried Samantha would never forgive her but Samantha holds no grudge.

"I've lost my baby and I don't blame her so no one else should. It was just an accident that happened and at the end of the day she's still my mum and I love her."

Samantha wanted to share the family's story as a warning to other parents.

"It all happened within a matter of two hours and never did I imagine something like this would happen.

"All sorts of things can take your mind off your child but... they need to be number one priority before anything else."

2. NSW aged care facility under fire after maggots found in patient’s head.


An elderly resident in an increasingly substandard NSW aged care facility has been hospitalised after maggots were found in his head.

The disturbing discovery comes months after Bupa's Eden facility, on the NSW far south coast, was sanctioned by the government because residents were at "immediate and severe risk".

Federal Aged Care Minister Ken Wyatt said it was "totally unacceptable and concerning" the facility had a resident with maggots in a wound so quickly after it was inspected by the newly beefed-up regulator the Aged Care Safety and Quality Commission.

ADVERTISEMENT

"In this day and age, with all of the attention given to care being centred on individuals, we shouldn't see this occurring," Mr Wyatt told reporters in Sydney on Tuesday.

"I'm disappointed they've allowed this to happen."

The discovery was made between February 26 and 28 and sparked an "urgent" request by government agencies for information from the facility, a commission spokeswoman told AAP on Tuesday.

Bupa's chief operating officer Carolyn Cooper apologised to the resident and his family.

"I have personally spoken to the family today and understand their disappointment," she told AAP in a statement on Tuesday.

Results from government inspections show a decline in standards at the Eden facility over the past few years.

In 2013, the facility, which was then known as Eden Community Care, met all 44 of the accreditation standards.

Those standards remained intact in 2016 after Bupa began running the home.

But in August 2018 inspectors found five were no longer being met.

The commission significantly stepped up the schedule of unannounced visits in this time.

But conditions continued to deteriorate and, by November, the government refused to sign off on 22 of the necessary standards.

The next month the commission reported "critical deficiencies at the service contributing to serious and detrimental failings" including in human resources, clinical care, medication management and health and personal care.

The facility was sanctioned with its commonwealth funding stripped back. Bupa was ordered to recruit and train new staff to address the shortcomings.

The facility will remain under sanctions until June 7.

But this latest incident means investigators will again return to monitor the home, Mr Wyatt said.

The man has since returned to the facility and Ms Cooper said immediate action had been taken to improve wound management and provide further training to staff.

But the government will continue to lobby the company on a "raft of matters" that make it clear the government is concerned, the minister said.

"Australia expects aged care providers to shape up and provide the level of care that is needed."

ADVERTISEMENT

All visits by commission investigators are now unannounced, the spokeswoman said.

"We are seeking to use information from a range of sources, including feedback from consumers, to target areas of highest risk," she said.

3. Ben Barba has announced he’s planning to fight his lifetime NRL ban.

Ben Barba will fight to overturn an NRL lifetime ban despite being charged by Queensland police on Tuesday.

The fallen NRL star presented himself to Mackay police and was charged with two counts of public nuisance over an Australia Day weekend incident at the Townsville casino.

The former Dally M Medallist will appear in Townsville Magistrates Court on March 22.

Barba reportedly will not face domestic violence-related charges because his partner Ainslie Currie has not made a complaint.

Barba was sacked by NRL club North Queensland without playing a game for the club last month over allegations he was violent towards Currie in the incident.

The NRL gave Barba a lifetime ban after viewing CCTV footage of the incident.

But Barba's lawyer Campbell MacCallum claimed on Tuesday he would now attempt to have the ban overturned.

"He's expressed his desire to play football this year," MacCallum told reporters.

ADVERTISEMENT

"He wants to explore his options in relation to challenging the NRL ban and hopefully play rugby league in some sort of capacity.

"I don't think he'd play NRL but certainly local football, and that's going to help his focus.

"He's feeling the pressure of the media on him - he's also feeling the pressure of not being able to play the game that he loves.

"It's certainly pretty distressing for himself and a trying time for his family."

Barba was charged a day after telling a television news crew he had "lost everything" and threatened to "hurt" the reporter.

North Queensland coach Paul Green said Cowboys welfare officers would keep in touch with Barba.

"Our welfare guys continue to stay in contact with Ben. The club will continue to support him however we can," he said.

Green was not as expansive when told Barba intended to fight the NRL ban.

Asked if Barba should be allowed to play again, Green said: "It's probably not for me to comment."

Besides the two charges, Barba was on Tuesday also banned by Queensland police from entering Townsville's entertainment precinct for three months.

After winning a premiership with Cronulla in 2016, the star fullback copped a 12 game NRL ban for testing positive to cocaine for a second time.

He left for stints in French rugby union and the English Super League before being offered a lifeline by the Cowboys, only to be sacked on February 1 over the casino incident.

4. “We kept calm.” How Melbourne hikers survived four nights in the wild.

A Melbourne couple who spent four nights missing in Victoria's rugged alpine region say they got lost from their walking track and survived on muesli bars.

Trevor Salvado, 60, and Jacinta 'Cindy' Bohan, 58, were found safe and well on Tuesday morning at Mount Buffalo, after spending four nights on a steep ledge.

ADVERTISEMENT

"We basically got lost. That's all that happened and then we stayed in one spot for four nights, and then this morning we were out, we needed to get out," Ms Bohan told reporters outside Wangaratta Hospital after getting a medical all-clear and surrounded by family.

"We could hear speed boats on Lake Buffalo and there were campers below us, there were cows and a dog and there were lights as well, so we knew we weren't far away from people and help," Mr Salvado added.

"But we had about a 250-foot drop in front of us so we took a few days just to take a look at it and work out if we could get down there."

After spending days surviving on food from their backpack, including muesli and snack bars, the couple decided on Tuesday they needed to leave.

"We were in a good spot, a safe spot so I really believed we would get found," Ms Bohan said.

"But we knew we had to think about our mind set and we just knew if we stayed too much longer and they hadn't found us, oh my God. So, today we got the energy, let's go."

They just "walked out from where we were" and soon came across a mini-bus of TAFE students who were on a canoeing trip.

The experienced hikers said they got lost a couple of hours into their walk on Friday afternoon but never lost confidence that they would be found.

Looking tired and worn out, covered in scratches from brambles, Mr Salvado and Ms Bohan said they were not injured and kept calm during the ordeal and are looking forward to having a shower.

After being found they were taken to Wangaratta Hospital to be treated for exposure and dehydration, footage showing Mr Salvado walking unaided from an ambulance followed by Ms Bohan on a stretcher.

Mr Salvado and Ms Bohan were meant to meet friends shortly after midday on Friday but never showed up.

Their car was found the next day and authorities spent the next few days scouring Mt Buffalo.

Their disappearance sparked a full-scale search, involving up to 150 personnel covering several kilometres of rugged terrain.

ADVERTISEMENT

Ms Bohan said the experience won't deter the couple from future outdoor adventures.

5. All Boeing 737 Max 8 planes have been suspended in Australia after the crash in Ethiopia.

Australian aviation authorities have banned airlines from flying Boeing 737 Max jets in Australia after one of the planes crashed in Ethiopia, killing more than 150 people.

The Ethiopian Airlines 737 MAX 8 fell from the sky minutes after take-off from Addis Ababa for Nairobi on Sunday killing 157 people on board.

Australia's Civil Aviation Safety Authority suspended two international airlines from flying their 737 MAXs to or from Australia on Tuesday.

Singapore's SilkAir has already grounded their fleet, a CASA spokesman said in a statement, while Fiji Airways will have to substitute their two 737 MAXs for other craft.

"This is a temporary suspension while we wait for more information to review the safety risks of continued operations of the Boeing 737 MAX to and from Australia." CASA CEO Shane Carmody said.

The suspension comes a day after China and Indonesia enacted similar grounding orders on the 737 MAX.

The Ethiopian Airlines crash is the second involving the 737 MAX five months after the same model flown by Lion Air crashed off the coast of Indonesia in October, killing all 189 on board.

FROM OUR NETWORK
00:00 / ???