By MAMAMIA TEAM
Put 30th August in your diary.
That’s the day a “pro-family” group promoting bigotry and intolerance will touch down in Melbourne for a conference.
Senior members of state and federal government will be taking part as guest speakers and delegates.
Does that worry you? It should.
When you participate in a conference as a politician, you are giving that conference (and its organisers) credibility and tacit approval. You are endorsing their values and their views.
Here are just of the World Congress of Families’ ideas:
1. Women who take the pill lose interest in sex and are more likely to be the victim of violent assault and murder.2. Women who take the pill are more likely to engage in incest.
3. Social policies should not promote single-parenting which contributes to the decay of society’s moral values.
4. Abortion, divorce, single parents and LGBT people are responsible for promiscuity, sexually transmitted diseases, poverty, human trafficking, violence against women and child abuse.
5. The pill and other contraception can and has killed women all over the world. The pill also kills babies.
6. There’s a link between abortion and breast cancer.
7. The sole purpose of sex is for procreation and an expression of love between husband and wife in the covenant of marriage. All other sexual activity cannot satisfy the human spirit and leads to remorse, alienation and disease.
8. Vladimir Putin’s draconian homosexual vilification laws that send LGBT Russians to prison are a ‘great idea’ that the rest of the world should follow. Russia is the Christian saviour to the world and Putin is heroically preventing Russian LGBT people from corrupting children.
9. All forms of non-heterosexual sex is a sin and gay people should be converted to heterosexuality via Christian therapy.
All of these statements are abhorrent.
They defy science as well as basic human decency. In particular, the claims about abortion and the pill being linked to such things as incest, murder and breast cancer are complete fabrications. Outrageously invented. Complete bullshit.
Feeling troubled yet?