Being a mum is a full time job in itself, but when you add a career on top of it? It’s really, really hard. Here are 15 hilarious confessions of a working mum.
Like many working mums, I try to manage the juggling act of working, taking care of my daughter, being a wife and managing a home. In the midst of all this chaos, sometimes I find myself laughing out loud at life’s little moments. Those moments consist of not taking life too seriously, finding joy even in the busiest of days and those “keeping it real” moments that occur when you are least expecting it.
It's the occasional princess sticker stuck on my high heel shoes or the temporary tattoo on my arm that I don't notice until halfway through the work day, or the conference call I take during a dance class. I am constantly reminded throughout my day that I am a mum first and my work takes a clear second place. Since my daughter was born, I have racked up a long list of working mum reminders. Here are just a few.
1. Your 2-year-old puts on your high heels, grabs her princess purse and takes off down the hallway, saying "Bye, gotta go to a meeting."
2. You call time spent in the car commuting to work "me time."
3. The default music in the car is "If you're happy and you know it...."
4. You ask your daughter where her stuffed animal's mummy is and she replies, "She's in the playroom, working."
5. You go to point out an important item on your spreadsheet to a potential client, and notice your nails are streaked with purple nail polish from playing "beauty shop" the night before.
6. Your work bag contains a Hello Kitty notepad.
7. You have mastered the "driving while pumping" traffic offense, while not flashing any truck drivers, nor spilling any of the precious milk.