Brenda King – Mum
The shock of almost losing a child is indescribable and something that no parent, and no child, should have to experience.
In 2011 when my two-day old son Ryan stopped breathing and lay motionless in my lap, I immediately assumed the worst.
After we revived him via CPR, we went to causality, and then back many times to the specialist facility at Westmead Hospital.
We left the hospital extremely grateful and with our son, but without answers.
We didn’t know what happened, why it happened or if it would happen again – we just knew we had come close to losing our son to Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS).
"The shock of almost losing a child is indescribable and something that no parent, and no child, should have to experience." Image via iStock.
SIDS is the sudden, unexpected and unexplained death of an apparently well baby.
And Ryan was one of the lucky ones, because in 2013 alone, 117 babies died suddenly and unexpectedly, and of those deaths, 54 were identified as SIDS.
After the initial scare, we had to go to the Children’s Hospital every fortnight to monitor his breathing and heart rate, and through that contact we realised how little research and funding they had.
I wanted to help them, and I have a lot of friends who did fitness, so I brought the two together and launched the SIDS Stampede fun run to raise funding and awareness.
The event was a way to motivate every-day Australians to get together, enjoy each other’s company in a healthy environment and raise money for an important cause.