Plastic surgeon Anthony Youn has seen and heard things many of us couldn’t even fathom — genital warts “the size of cauliflower heads”, for one.
Now, he’s kindly shared his insider intel in a very honest Ask Me Anything thread on Reddit. Here are 10 of the most fascinating things we learned about the life of a plastic surgeon.
1. They use leeches. Yes, really.
“I’ve used leeches to save nipples that were about to die … Leeches act as a ‘vein’ to drain out the clogged up blood. All plastic surgeons have them in their ‘back pocket’ in case all hell breaks loose and the surgery goes down the tubes. Thankfully I’ve never had to use them in private practice.”
Pictured above: Dr Youn (via Imgur)
2. No two days are the same.
“I’ve counselled women who had industrial-strength silicone injected into them in hotel rooms, I’ve seen maggot infested wounds, I almost got lice from a patient, I’ve seen genital warts the size of cauliflower heads, and have had patients hit on me, ask to set me up with their children (I’m married), threaten to hit me with their car.”
3. Unusued fat is disposed of… most of the time.
“There was once a doc in LA who claimed to use his patients’ liposuctioned fat to power his car. He called it ‘Biofuel’. The only car I know of that could run on Biofuel was the old AMC Pacer pieces of crap. Anyways, his office was raided by the cops and last I heard he fled to South America!”
Watch: Mamamia staffers discuss the rise in lip fillers. (Post continues after video.)
4. Patients have requested some very… unusual things.
“I’ve had a lot of people ask me for wings. Like, turn them into the X-Men character The Angel. And they believe it’s possible. The next craziest thing someone asked for was to look like Kim Kardashian.”
"Hi, yes, I'd like some wings please." (Image: 20th Century Fox)
5. Butt implant patients are usually women.
"I've never heard of a guy getting buttock implants. Lots of women do, though. There are complex measurements, believe it or not, and classifications for the shape of butts. (Heart shaped, Square, Shelf, etc.) But never heard of a guy wanting it."
6. There are ways to enhance your beauty without surgery.
"The easiest and most cost effective way to improve your beauty is:
1. Limit your sugar intake. Sugar is the worst food for your skin.
2. Apply a Vitamin A cream before bed (tretinoin (prescription strength) or retinol)
3. Exfoliate your skin two to three times per week." (Post continues after gallery.)