We’ve rounded up all the news you need to know today, so you don’t have to go searching.
1. Mother to plead guilty after putting baby on “raw food diet”
A mother who almost starved her baby to death by adopting a restrictive diet while breastfeeding will plead guilty to failing to provide for her child, Yahoo! News reports.
The mother allegedly went on a raw food diet recommended to her by a naturopath to help cure the baby’s eczema.
Court documents allege that the naturopath put the child’s mother on a water-only diet to “help the baby recover from a fever”, according to the Daily Telegraph.
After the 8-month-old boy became emaciated, he was admitted to hospital with a severe fever and a staph infection in May 2015.
The young mother then faced charges including recklessly causing grievous bodily harm; that charge was dropped when the mother appeared in court yesterday.
But Yahoo! News reports the young mum, who cannot be named, is expected to plead guilty to failing to provide for her child.
Naturopath Marilyn Bodner, the mother’s co-accused, has previously pleaded not guilty to recklessly causing grievous bodily in relation to the matter.
The boy has been taken from his mother’s care.
2. Teens walk free after Sydney park gang rape
Two teenagers involved in the February 2014 gang rape of a 14-year-old girl have avoided jail time.
The men pleaded guilty to charges of sexual intercourse with a child in company after attacking the girl in a western Sydney park, Yahoo! News reports.
Judge Martin Sides of Parramatta District Court on Friday gave one boy a suspended control order; this means the teen will never serve any time over the attack if he remains on good behaviour for the term of the order, Yahoo! News reports.
The judge sentenced the other offender to a lengthy control order, but backdated it so that the teenager could be immediately released on parole.
The judge said the offenders struggled with intellectual disabilities. He added that he believed one of the defendants would not have raped the girl had he known she was 14.
"The court is satisfied that had she revealed her age, he would not have had intercourse with her," Judge Sides said. "This should not be seen as the court blaming the victim but merely reflecting the situation from the young offender's perspective."
The boys are two of four youths who were charged in the weeks following the attacks. Neither men can be named because they were under 18 at the time of the offending.
3. Former Blue Mountains teacher to face further charges
Blue Mountains teacher Neville Betteridge is expected to be charged with a further 125 child sex offences, after already facing court on two charges involving two boys in the 1960s.