By MAMAMIA TEAM
Changing shoe sizes. A superhuman sense of smell. Postpartum bleeding.
There are a lot of things women don’t expect when they fall pregnant for the first time. Most think their pregnancies will be the exact opposite of those of women in movies – you know, the people who barely break into a sweat when they go into labour?
Just as an FYI, you should know that this post is sponsored by Avène. But all opinions expressed by the author are 100% authentic and written in their own words.
In reality, pregnancy and labour is very different. And to prove that, we went on Facebook recently and we asked our readers: “What were the unexpected pregnancy symptoms you didn’t realise happened until you WERE pregnant?”
Their answers were amazing. Here’s a taste:
1. “That you can never laugh, sneeze or cough again without wetting your pants.” – Mishelle.
2. “The constant splattered stains on my shirts where my belly caught dropped food…brought to my attention what a messy eater I am…apparently those droppings used to just land on the floor!” – Jaynie
3. “That morning sickness was so debilitating you’d lose weight and end up taking your duvet to the bathroom to get some rest” – Fiona
4. “Pre natal depression. And almost no sympathy from the world around me, because if you get depressed it’s supposed to happen after.” – Susanne
5. “Crazy sense of smell. Like, superhuman.” – Frances
6. “Can’t believe no-one has said it! Better Sex!!!” – Liz
7. “Hyperenesis (severe morning sickness 24/7 for 9 months) you think I would have learnt after the first pregnancy. But I had 4 kids.” – Narelle
8. “I didn’t realise I would bleed after for a week until I had the baby lol. The lil things no one talks about!” – Natasha
9. “Shoe size going up and not going down again. Lost years worth of beautiful shoes.” – Brianna
10. Patchy brown skin! I developed a skin condition called malasma on my forehead, cheeks and nose. There was nothing I could do to make it disappear… – Vanessa
11. “It was Easter and I discovered I was pregnant and had such a dislike for chocolate. It just tasted so Wrong!!! For a chocoholic it was very strange – the whole pregnancy chocolate was out.” – Karen
12. “How interesting the credits at the end of a TV show are – great place to look at names.” – Karen