Police have warned the public to “stop playing on your phones while driving” after seeing eight casualties on New South Wales roads in 24 hours, including the death of a 3-year-old boy on Wednesday afternoon.
The young boy was crossing the road with his mother in Eastwood, in Sydney’s north west, when he was struck by a Kia Carnival just after 4pm, AAP reports.
He was taken to the Children’s Hospital at Westmead where he died shortly after arrival. A 71-year-old woman has been charged in the incident.
“Sadly, this matter only highlights the risks that are on our roads,” Detective Chief Inspector Phillip Brooks told media yesterday. The young boy was one of eight casualties on roads across the state in a period of 24 hours.
“Personal responsibility, on the part of drivers, riders, cyclists and pedestrians, needs to account for their behaviour on our roads.”
Detective Brooks specifically mentioned mobile phone usage, pleading with drivers to stay off their phones while on the road.
"Police have had enough," he told The Sydney Morning Herald.
"There is never a more sombre moment for a police officer than having to knock on someone's door at 3 am and tell them their loved one is dead. Drivers need to stop playing on their phones and pay attention."
The seven stages of grief. Post continues below.
So far this year, 212 people have died on NSW roads and 154 of these deaths have occurred in rural areas.
"This is certainly a plea for all road users, particularly those in rural NSW, to please take extra care on our roads," Detective Brooks continued.
The driver involved in the Eastwood accident has been charged with dangerous driving causing death. She will face court next month.