This story is fast moving but significant. And it keeps getting bigger.
The latest installment?
A further seven brands have pulled their sponsorship of the Kyle & Jackie O show, bringing the total to 23.
American Express, Ford, Lexus, Blackberry, Olympus, Coles Online and Piazza D’or announced today they will pull their advertising. Blackberry went one further – withdrawing “all current support from Austereo until further notice”.
Last night, an official statement from Kyle Sandilands’ main employer, Southern Cross Austereo. In the statement, Chief Executive Officer Rhys Holleran said:
“Kyle speaks his mind, however in this case we recognise that his opinions have caused offence and sincerely apologise”.
“Southern Cross Austereo does not condone his sentiments, is addressing issues with Kyle personally and assessing internal systems and processes.
“We value our listeners and clients dearly and hold the utmost respect for their opinions and actions.”
If you’re late to this story or looking for a full background to it, this is what’s been happening:
LATEST (MONDAY, NOV 28): The number of sponsors who have pulled dollars from the Kyle and Jackie O Show (some the entire Austero network) is now at least 23. The latest sponsors to pull funding are CUA (from the entire Austero network), Groupon (all of Austero), Clean & Clear (all of Austero), Commonwealth Bank and Libra (the show only).
Companies which said they would withdraw funding but still appeared in ad slots this morning were Volkswagen, Myer, GIO and Defence Housing Australia.
According to advertising measurement company AirCheck, the Kyle and Jackie O Show has lost 60 per cent of its advertising support since the scandal broke out.
The change.org petition has more than 24,000 signatures.
MONDAY NIGHT: Kyle & Jackie’ O’s Night With The Stars premieres on Network 7.
News Limited journalist Alison Stephenson wrote a story about the 90-minute show, which focused on negative viewer comments surrounding the show – which were mostly broadcast via Twitter. The story was published before TV ratings were released publicly at 8:30am on Tuesday as they are each day for TV. Here’s a snippet of what she wrote:
VIDEO killed the radio star and shock jocks Kyle Sandilands and Jackie O may be the latest airwave talent to fall victim to the small screen.
Within minutes of the radio duo’s highly anticipated program A Night With The Stars going to air, fans had already taken to Twitter to pronounce the 90-minute special “awkward” and a “disaster.”
“I gave it five minutes,” tweeted Kate Fox. “That’s all the time I can afford to spare on #KyleAndJackieO before my brain implodes.”
Diba Nikanpour agreed: “After watching 3 seconds of the disaster that is the #kyleandjackieO show. I have come to my senses and regained focus.”
While Abby Tonkin also wrote the program off as a fail: “This #kyleandjackieo special is seriously awkward viewing. Like watching a car crash.”
TUESDAY MORNING: Kyle hits back. At 6am when his morning show went to air, he attacked Stephenson pretty viciously. This is what he said:
“You’re a piece of shit. This low thing, Alison Stephenson, deputy editor of news.com.au online. You’re supposed to be impartial, you little troll…. You’re a bullshit artist, girl. You should be fired from your job… Watch your mouth or I’ll hunt you down.” He also called Ms Stephenson a “fat bitter thing” and attacked her hairstyle and breast size.
The audio is here if you want to hear it yourself.
But here’s the thing. Later on Tuesday, the ratings from Kyle & Jackie O’s Night with the Stars were released. And they weren’t pretty.