Things are heating up in the kitchen AND in Mamamia’s Food Blogger Idol competition.
After receiving hundreds of amazing and delicious entries from some extremely talented home cooks, and after deliberating for many hours, we managed to narrow the list down to the five. And now? It’s time to vote.
So let’s meet our finalists…
“I’m a stay at home dad, who has a passion for food and cooking. I am always looking for healthy snacks and treats to make for my kids, as well as cooking new, delicious and interesting meals for my family. My main focus when I’m cooking is on creating healthy snacks and nutritious meals, but I can’t go past an opportunity to create something a bit decadent or fancy.
I love it when my wife comes home and says “we are having a morning tea at work this week, what are you going to make?” With this in mind, I took the opportunity to use Rachel’s yoghurt to create a tart that’s been germinating in my brain for a while.
I think most of us love mousse but I rarely make it because it is typically full of sugar and cream – not the best for the ole waistline! But this recipe is a healthier alternative and it’s relatively simple to make, quite cheap and the results are awesome.
You can follow me to find other creation @foodbydad on Instagram.
Strawberry Yoghurt Mousse Tart
1 1/2 cups (250g) plain flour
125g butter, chilled, chopped
1/3 cup caster sugar
1 egg yolk
1 Tbsp chilled water
1-1/4 cups thickened cream
1/4 cup sugar
1 vanilla sugar
2 cups Rachel’s Wild Strawberry & Rhubarb Yoghurt
1/2 cup sugar1/2 tsp lemon zest [optional]
1 punnet fresh strawberries
7 sheets gelatine
Strawberry Jelly Glaze:
2 sheets gelatin, bloomed
¼ cups water
100g strawberries (puree)
30g granulated sugar
- Combine flour, butter and sugar in a food processor. Process until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add yolk and chilled water. Process until dough just comes together.
- Turn pastry onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until just smooth. Shape into a disc. Wrap in baking paper and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Grease tart pan. Roll out pastry to 2-3mm and press into pan. Line pastry case with baking paper. Fill with ceramic pie weights or uncooked rice. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove weights and paper. Prick the base of the case with a fork. Bake for a further 5 to 10 minutes or until pastry is golden. Allow to cool.
- Submerge gelatine sheets in a bowl of cold water. Set aside for about 5 minutes.
- Whip the cream until dense, add sugars and whip for one more minute. Place it in the fridge.
- Next wash the strawberries, remove stems, put into blender and blend until liquid.
- Pour the pureed strawberries into a bowl.
- Add the Rachel’sWild Strawberry & Rhubarb Yoghurt, lemon zest and sugar to the strawberries and mix by hand until smooth. Set it aside.
- Remove excess water from the gelatine and place in a pot on the stove and lightly heat it, only until it melts, do not let it boil!
- Remove from heat.
- Add to it about 1/2 cup of the strawberry yogurt mixture to the melted gelatine and mix well.
- Now pour the gelatine mixture into the remaining yogurt mixture.
- Gently fold the chilled whipped cream into the strawberry mixture until it looks like a strawberry smoothie.
- Pour the strawberry mixture on top of the cake. Filling will be liquid and that is ok.
- Refrigerate for 3 hours or best overnight.
Strawberry Jelly Glaze:
- In a bowl of cold water, bloom gelatin sheet for 3-5 minutes. Squeeze out excess moisture.
- Place bloomed gelatin in a small pot of 60ml water with strawberry puree and sugar. Warm over a low heat until gelatin has melted. Whisk to ensure smooth consistency. Let cool to room temperature.
- Take out chilled mousse tart and spoon room temperature jelly glaze over mousse. Return to fridge to let jelly glaze set. Keep in fridge until ready to serve.
If you would like to vote for Shaun to be Mamamia’s new Food Blogger, you can vote by clicking HERE.
Rachel’s Gourmet Low Fat Yoghurts are lovingly crafted from the finest ingredients and modern combinations of real fruit for a truly sophisticated taste. Thick and creamy but still low in fat, Rachel’s yoghurts are an everyday reward! And because these yoghurts are bio-live they also contain active cultures making them as good for you as they are delicious. Available in four foodie inspired flavours including Black Plum & Roasted Fig, Mango & Madagascan Vanilla, Peaches & Vine Ripe Passionfruit and Wild Strawberry & Rhubarb.