1. A Spanish organisation that aims to combat child abuse has designed an ad that displays different messages for adults and children. When an adult looks at the ad by the Aid to Children and Adolescents at Risk Foundation they see a picture of a healthy looking child and the message: “Sometimes, child abuse is only visible to the child suffering it.” While anyone smaller than five feet sees bruises on the child’s face and the message: “if somebody hurts you, phone us and we’ll help you”.
And here is what else is happening in the today’s news…
2. New Australian research has found dummies could save babies’ lives. Associate Professor Rosemary Horne from Monash University told the ABC that dummies protect against Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS). Professor Horne said that SIDS was related to the cardiac system and that dummies help with cardiac control.
3. A NSW couple who say their son should never have been born have lost their $10 million case against their IVF doctor, Dr Christopher James. Lawrence and Debbie Waller’s son Keeden was born with a hereditary condition called antithrombin deficiency which causes blood clotting. Shortly after his birth in 2000, he suffered a severe stroke that cause brain damage.
The Waller’s claim their specialist did not properly check whether Larwence’s condition could be passed on. In his ruling, Justice John Hislop said: “I find that, properly informed, the plaintiffs would have elected not to have Keeden.” He also ordered the Waller’s pay James’ legal fees.
4. Aboriginal mothers are three to five times more likely to die during childbirth, according to the Australian College of Midwives. President Sue Kruske told Fairfax that aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander women did not have proper access to midwives. “Right here in Australia, maternal and perinatal mortality rates in our indigenous population continue to be far worse than the non-indigenous population,” she said.
5. Scientists in London say grey hair may now be a “thing of the past”. A journal for biological research, FASEB Journal, reported that grey hair is reportedly caused by “an antioxidant” which causes hair to bleach itself from the inside out. The journal reported grey hair could be fixed with a proprietary treatment.
6. Bernard Tomic’s father has been charged with assaulting his son’s hitting partner, Thomas Drouet. John Tomic allegedly headbutted Drouet and broke his nose during an altercation on Saturday – but he said he was acting in self defence.
Drouet has told media he’d been verbally abused for six months before the incident occurred. John Tomic will appear in a Spanish court on May 14.
7. Footage of horrific treatment of Australian cattle at an Egyptian abattoir has aired on the ABC’s 7:30 program. The footage, which was shown last night, was filmed in October and reportedly led to the suspension of live exports from Australia to Egypt. It shows bulls being stabbed and having their throats cut incorrectly.