Tara Costigan was a hard working mum, friend, close with her family and liked by those who she met. She was also killed by her partner one week after giving birth to their daughter.
In this episode we speak with Heidi Lemon, that author of The First Time He Hit Her: the shocking true story of the murder of Tara Costigan, the woman next door.
Heidi spent the past few years devoted to writing the book, and worked closely with the Costigan family during the project.
Tara’s story is devastating. It is also not an anomaly. Heidi has worked to share Tara’s story in the hopes that more public conversations will continue to be had about Australia’s problem with domestic violence.
Guest: Heidi Lemon author of The First Time He Hit Her
Host: Jessie Stephens
Producer: Elise Cooper
- ‘The First Time He Hit Her: the shocking true story of the murder of Tara Costigan, the woman next door’ book by Heidi Lemon https://bit.ly/tara-costigan-book
- ‘Tara Costigan: The Life and Death of a Victim of Domestic Violence’, 7:30 Report, ABC TV https://bit.ly/tara-730-report
- ‘A man, who murdered his ex-girlfriend with an axe while she was cradling their baby daughter, has been sentenced to at least 26 years in jail.’ Nine News https://bit.ly/3ePTo2h
Tell us what you think of the show via email at [email protected]
Join our closed Facebook community to discuss this episode. Just search True Crime Conversations on Facebook or follow this link https://bit.ly/tcc-group
If any parts of this episode raise issues for you please seek help via the resources below
- Family Violence 1800 RESPECT - that’s 1800 737 732
- Safe Steps in Victoria - 24 hour response line- safesteps.org.au
- National services https://www.dvrcv.org.au/support-services/national-services