1. “My heart is going thump, thump, thump.” Rape victims prepare to face their attacker in court in a bid to keep him behind bars.
Two women, Juanita and Angela, who were assaulted in the 1990s by a serial rapist, were prepared to face their abuser in court yesterday in a bid to keep him behind bars “where he belongs”.
WATCH: Two victims of Sydney’s north shore rapist prepared to face him in court, from Ten News.
Graham James Kay, 66, – also known as the ‘North Shore Rapist’ – was released from prison in 2015, after serving 18 years in jail for terrorising Sydney’s north shore with a series of rapes between 1995 and 1996.
Now, he’s pleading not-guilty to fresh charges after assaulting a 16-year-old in a supermarket, and his former victims don’t want to see him released on bail.
“It’s sickening and I’m angry. My heart is going thump, thump, thump, thump. My stomach is churning,” Angela told Nine News during an adjournment.
“It was very traumatic what we went through.”
Juanita said she couldn’t understand why police granted Kay bail last week, after he was charged with assault for allegedly kissing a 16-year-old girl at Woolworths in Rosehill.
“I feel sick,” she said. “I don’t understand why they do that with a serial sex offender. It’s really confusing.”
“He’s dangerous, he shouldn’t be near any women.”
Police quickly put the serial offender back behind bars once they realised his history of allegedly breaching supervision orders - including having an "intimate relationship" with a prostitute.
That's where Juanita and Angela want him to stay.
"I never forgot that face. I saw it very clearly when he attacked me and I will never forget it," Angela told Ten News.
After the women's bravery in attending the Parramatta Local Court yesterday, Kay did not turn up to face his victims. He stayed in jail and did not apply for bail, meaning he'll remain behind bars for the moment.
Kay's lawyers, however, told magistrate Brett Shields their client is pleading not guilty to assault and intimidation. He is expected back in court on May 8.
"He is where he belongs," Angela told Nine News. "We'll be back."
2. First victim named following the van attack in Canada that killed 10, meanwhile the alleged driver faces court.
The first victim to be identified following the van attack in Canada yesterday that saw 10 people killed and dozens injured is Anne-Marie D’Amico.
The 25-year-old worked at the Canadian headquarters of US-based investment firm Invesco, with president of the company's Canadian branch telling CBC News:
"Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with all those impacted by this tragic event,” Intraligi said.
"I can now confirm that unfortunately one of our employees has succumbed to her injuries."
Tributes for the D’Amico are flowing in social media.
"Anne Marie, you were loved and will remembered always with nothing but amazing memories. Rest in peace," one woman has written.
"She was such a genuine, kind hearted person. Always smiling," another said.
Colleague Jon Tam also told CBC News D'Amico was "full of life, loved to travel, loved to help volunteer".
Meanwhile, the man accused of ploughing a rental van into pedestrians on a crowded Toronto sidewalk in Canada's deadliest mass killing in decades has been charged with 10 counts of first-degree murder as police probe what motivated his rampage.
Suspect Alek Minassian, 25, was also charged with 13 counts of attempted murder for the incident that had the hallmarks of deadly vehicle assaults by Islamic State supporters, but the motive is still unclear.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said there was no reason to suspect any national security connection.
"We cannot as Canadians choose to live in fear every single day as we go about our daily business," Trudeau said outside parliament in Ottawa.
3. Police are expecting huge crowds for Anzac Day services "with a more personal connection" in Queensland.
Anzac Day services and marches across Queensland are expected to draw large crowds as those honouring the fallen join relatives with a more personal connection to the day of remembrance, AAP reports.
The Brisbane march is expected to attract between 40,000 and 60,000 people, as well as 20,000 people for the dawn service at Anzac Square.
Ahead of the service, a new memorial plaque was unveiled on Tuesday at the Brisbane's Anzac Memorial Crypt, honouring the 52nd Battalion 100 years after the WWI Battle of Villers-Bretonneux in France.
The family of one of the Queensland soldiers who fought and died in that battle, Private Joseph Payne, will honour his memory on Wednesday, with the Redcliffe RSL Sub-Branch ceremony dedicated to him.
Meanwhile, the dawn service at Currumbin on the Gold Coast, always one of the largest in the state outside of Brisbane, will hear the sound of a genuine World War II bugle carried by John Bruce McEachran, played in the light of dawn by his grandson Adam Turner.
This year also marks the 75th anniversary of the hospital ship Centaur being torpedoed and sunk by a Japanese submarine off the Queensland coast as she sailed from Sydney to Port Moresby.
Just 64 of the 332 passengers and crew on board survived the attack.
Police have confirmed they've boosted their numbers for Anzac Day events in Brisbane this year, but insist rather than the threat of terror, it's simply to respond to the rising number of people who want to attend.
Brisbane will mark Anzac Day with a dawn service at Anzac Square from 4.28am and the march from 10am along Adelaide Street.
In Currumbin, the Elephant Rock dawn service will start at 4.30am and the march 10.30am.
Up north, Townsville residents will surround the town's Cenotaph from 5.30am followed with the march 8.30am.
In far north Queensland, Cairns' dawn service will start at 5.30am and the march at 9.30am.
4. "I trusted you." Mum's emotional plea after her police officer husband lied about killing their baby with a punch to the stomach.
Senior Constable Colin David Randall was so frustrated when a work transfer was refused that, when he was left alone with his baby son for the first time, he punched him to death.
Then 37, he struck his 10-week-old baby Kye in the stomach with such force it "pulped" his liver, ruptured organs and bruised the boy's lower back.
For three-and-a-half years after killing his son he lied to his wife, medical staff and investigators, but his ruse came undone when he pleaded guilty to manslaughter last Friday.
After Kye died in hospital in June 2014, Randall pretended it was due to injuries caused when he had incorrectly performed CPR.
His story was that he had put Kye in a swing and set about vacuuming his home, only to find him limp and unresponsive.
And for a while Randall's wife Debbra Chambers believed him.
"For 18 solid months after Kye died, I was lied to, manipulated, deceived by the man who I was married to, believing Kye's death was a tragic accident somehow and all his father did was try and save him," she told Brisbane Supreme Court on Tuesday.
"I believed everything you said. I trusted you being my husband, my closest partner, the father of my children and a serving police officer."
What really happened between Randall and Kye was revealed in court as preparations were made to sentence him for manslaughter, following the plea that came one week before he was due to face trial charged with murder.
Crown prosecutor Phil McCarthy said the day had started much the same as any other.
The usual routines were undertaken until Ms Chambers popped out to nearby shops.
She left Randall alone with their boy for the first time, unaware of how frustrated he had become.
The court heard Randall, a former science teacher, had been having an affair with a police administrative worker from Hervey Bay and was fixated on moving his family there.
After making arrangements to relocate, his plans were dashed when police knocked back his transfer request.
This led to an act of extreme violence, in which he lashed out and killed his son.
"It's just an horrendous attack on a 10-week-old baby," Justice Peter Davis said.
It left the boy with severe internal injuries, from which he never recovered.
5. "How I am going to keep up with them?" Charles, Prince of Wales delighted with new baby.
The Prince of Wales has spoken of his delight at the birth of his latest grandchild, joking "the only trouble is I don't know how I am going to keep up with them".
Charles said the arrival of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's baby son, their third child, was a "great joy".
The heir to the throne, who turns 70 this year, is also grandfather to Prince George and Princess Charlotte.
"We are both so pleased at the news," Charles said.
"It is a great joy to have another grandchild, the only trouble is I don't know how I am going to keep up with them."
William and Kate are settling into life as a family of five after bringing their new baby son home from hospital.
They have retreated to the sanctuary of Kensington Palace after introducing their third child to the world on the steps of the exclusive maternity unit, the Lindo Wing.
The name of the baby prince of Cambridge, who was born on Monday at 11.01am weighing 8lb 7oz (3.8kg), has yet to be unveiled.
6. High caffeine intake during pregnancy has been linked to child weight gain in early years.
Babies exposed to moderate to high levels of caffeine while in the womb are more likely to gain excess weight in early childhood, a study has found.
A Norwegian study of 51,000 mothers and children concluded children exposed to more than 200 mg of caffeine per day - two coffees or four teas - were more likely to be overweight by the age of three.
The findings of the observational study, published in journal BMJ Open, challenges current recommendations to only limit caffeine intake while pregnant.
While they can't prove cause and effect, the researchers suggest pregnant women should cut out caffeine altogether.
"Maternal caffeine intake may modify the overall weight growth trajectory of the child from birth to eight years," the authors wrote.
"The results add supporting evidence for the current advice to reduce caffeine intake during pregnancy and indicate that complete avoidance might actually be advisable," they added.
Caffeine passes rapidly through tissues, including the placenta, and takes the body longer to get rid of during pregnancy.
Previous research has linked caffeine intake to a heightened risk of miscarriage and restricted foetal growth.
For this study, researchers used the Norwegian Mother and Child Cohort Study conducted between 2002 and 2008.
At 22 weeks of pregnancy, the mothers-to-be were asked to quantify their food and drink intake from among 255 items, including caffeine, using a specially adapted Food Frequency Questionnaire.
Sources of caffeine included coffee, black tea, caffeinated soft drinks, chocolate, chocolate milk, sandwich spreads; and desserts, cakes, and sweets.
The child's weight, height, and body length were subsequently measured at 11 time points up until the age of eight.
According to the findings, exposure to any caffeine level while in the womb was associated with a heightened risk of the child being overweight at the ages of three and five years.
Only very high caffeine intake (300 + mg a day) was linked to excess weight gain at eight years.
On average, children exposed to very high levels of caffeine weighed 480 grams more than children who had been exposed to low levels, according to the study.
Queensland-based obstetrician, Dr Gino Pecoraro, the Australian Medical Association (AMA) spokesperson for Obstetrics and Gynaecology, says the findings provides further evidence that limiting caffeine intake during pregnancy has beneficial effects for the developing child.
However they do not warrant the need for women to abstain from caffeine at this stage, said Dr Pecoraro.
"While interesting and worthy of discussion with would-be and pregnant women, the exact level of safe caffeine consumption in pregnancy is not clear, although whether doctors should just advise total abstinence as in alcohol where the safe level is unclear, remains to be seen," he said.