news

News in 5: Newlyweds killed in horror hit-and-run; Nude gunman opens fire in the US; "Banks should pay up".

1. Newlyweds killed in horrific hit-and-run, with two teenagers facing charges for “abhorrent” actions and fleeing the scene.

Tributes are flowing in for newlyweds – identified by media as Matt Goland and Bita Zaeim – who were killed in a horrific hit and run in Melbourne over the weekend.

Meanwhile, the teenagers – aged 19 and 15 – allegedly responsible for the crash are facing court.

WATCH: The couple were only minutes from home when they were struck, from Seven News. 

Bita, 32, was driving a Holden Commodore in Wantirna South shortly after midnight, her 38-year-old husband right there beside her.

At the same time, two teenagers – 19-year-old Boronia man Eric Victorsen and a 15-year-old Belgrave girl – were driving a stolen Lexus 4WD that they’d taken from a Lysterfield house on Wednesday night or Thursday morning.

Police say they travelled at “horrendous speeds” and ran a red light before crashing into a Holden Commodore in Wantirna South shortly after midnight, AAP reports.

Both teenagers survived the wreckage, managing to crawl out of their vehicle. Instead of checking on the people they’d so horrifically harmed, the two ran from the scene, Seven News reports, and security guards at a nearby club gave chase – to no avail.

Matt died at the scene, and Bita was taken to hospital where she later died, too. They had only been married for 12 months.

“So shocked to hear about this,” one man commented on Facebook.

“One of the nicest guys you could ever meet with such a bright future. RIP Matt.”

Another woman commented: “She was a lovely young woman. A loss we won’t get back.”

One of the dead couple’s parents visited the Wantirna South crash site on Saturday morning.

“I’ve seen some pretty terrible incidents, this is probably up there. I’ve been able to explain how the collision occurred but I can’t tell her why. This behaviour is just abhorrent,” Sup McGregor said, AAP reports.

“Dealing with them and talking to them and seeing that state of shock, you never want to see that.”

The teenagers are currently receiving medical treatment under police guard after they were arreste at a Belgrave home about 1.15pm on Saturday.

Acting Superintendent Stuart McGregor told reporters the “abhorrent” events seemed to be “a bit of a game” for the teenagers.

“There’s nothing fun about this, this is not a game, this is real life, this is where people have died and this is where people will be going to jail,” he told reporters.

“Everyone in the community just cannot understand how someone can think it’s right to travel at speed – horrendous speeds – through a red light and then when you know you’ve done so much damage to another car, to another person, to two people, to think of themselves and just flee.”

Victorsen, 19, has been charged with two counts of culpable driving and stealing a $170,00 Lexus SUV.

ADVERTISEMENT

He did not apply for bail and was remanded in custody to re-appear in court on April 24.

His counsel told the court Victorsen has an acquired brain injury and an intellectual disability and would need to see the custody nurse as soon as possible to address those issues.

The road toll now stands at 64 for 2018, compared to 78 for the same time last year.

2. A nude gunman has opened fire at a US waffle house, killing four and injuring two others.


Travis Reinking. Image via Metro Nashville PD
Travis Reinking. Image via Metro Nashville PD

A man who was naked but for a green jacket has shot and killed at least four people before a patron snatched his gun at a Waffle House restaurant near Nashville, Tennessee, AAP reports.

The gunman, armed with what was described as an AR-15 assault-type rifle, shot and killed two people in the parking lot of the restaurant in Antioch, a section of southeast Nashville, shortly before 3.30am on Sunday.

He then entered the restaurant and opened fire on patrons, police said, killing one and wounding another, who later died.

One diner who had hidden near the restrooms dashed out and pulled the rifle from the gunman and tossed it over the counter.

"The shots had stopped so he decided to rush the gunman, actually wrestled that assault rifle away, tossed it over the counter and, at that point, the gunman fled," police spokesman Don Aaron said.

The 29-year-old "hero" likely saved many more lives, Aaron said.

The gunman's vehicle was registered to Travis Reinking, 29, of Morton, Illinois, who police identified as a person of interest in the shooting.

A search was under way for Reinking, who police believe had been living in a nearby apartment. Police said a shirtless man wearing pants believed to be Reinking was spotted in nearby woods.

ADVERTISEMENT

Police initially reported three dead and four injured but updated this to say a total of six people were shot. Three of those died at the scene, and one wounded person died at Vanderbilt University Medical Center.

The two injured remain at the hospital and Vanderbilt Medical Center spokeswoman Jennifer Wetzel said one was in critical condition and the other was in critical but stable condition.

Police told CNN the gunman shed his jacket before fleeing on foot. It was unclear if he had another weapon. Local media reported a second shooting nearby might be connected to the Waffle House incident.

Police cautioned that the man is to be considered still armed and extremely dangerous.

The man who disarmed the shooter suffered non-life-threatening wounds, including an injured elbow, police said, and some patrons suffered facial wounds from shattered glass.

3. A Brisbane mother-of-two has died in police custody.


Cindy Miller. Image via Channel Nine.
Cindy Miller. Image via Channel Nine.

A Brisbane woman has died in police custody just hours after she was arrested, with Nine News reporting she is a mum-of-two and also a grandmother.

The 44-year-old Ellen Grove woman was found dead in her cell at Ipswich Watch House in the early hours of Saturday morning.

She had been arrested on Friday night for failing to appear in court and drug matters.

She was being held in custody pending a court appearance on Monday morning.

A Queensland Police spokeswoman said an investigation had been launched by the Ethical Standards Command on behalf of the coroner.

The investigation is being overseen by the Crime and Corruption Commission.

4. Two dragon boats capsized during a race in China, causing 17 people to drown.


ADVERTISEMENT
GUILIN, CHINA - APRIL 21: Rescuers work at the site after 2 dragon boats overturned in Taohuajiang River on April 21, 2018 in Guilin, Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region of China. Image via Getty.

Seventeen people are dead after two dragon boats capsized in southern China.

The boats were practising on Saturday for a race in the Taohua River in the city of Guilin when the accident happened, said the fire department of the city of Guilin, capital of Guangxi region.

It was not immediately clear what caused the boats to capsize.

The fire department said on its official account on the social media site Sina Weibo that search efforts ended late on Saturday and 17 people had been confirmed dead.

A total of 60 people fell into the water.

The official Xinhua News Agency said eight boats and more than 200 people had been deployed to the rescue.

Two organisers of the practice, from the village of Dunmu, were detained, Xinhua said.

China has sought to step up safety surrounding nationwide dragon boat racing during the Duanwu festival, which falls near the summer solstice and commemorates the death of the poet and minister Qu Yuan in the third century BC.

5. "Australians deserve an apology for being ripped off." Shorten pushing for compensation for victims of banking misconduct.


Image via Getty.
ADVERTISEMENT

Bill Shorten has written to Malcolm Turnbull demanding he consider a compensation scheme for the victims of banking misconduct.

The Labor leader also wants the prime minister to apologise for failing to agree to a royal commission sooner and to extend the one now if needed.

The Turnbull government is under pressure to admit it got it wrong after delaying a probe into the sector, with Financial Services Minister Kelly O'Dwyer refusing eight times on Sunday to concede it should have acted sooner.

In the letter to Mr Turnbull, Mr Shorten says the first 14 days of the commission has heard shocking and shameful evidence of systemic wrongdoing and a culture of cover-up in the industry.

"Along with many Australians, I can't help but wonder how many customers were ripped off by this kind of misconduct in the two years it took the government to relent and agree to Labor's calls for a royal commission," he writes.

"How many Australians continued to be hit with "fees for no service" in the two years the government continued to protect the banking industry from a royal commission?"

Given the evidence, Mr Shorten insists it's time for the government to seriously consider a compensation scheme for the victims of proven wrongdoing. He also wants the commission to be given more time and resources if requested.

Finance Minister Mathias Cormann has said if the commissioner asks for a longer inquiry it will be acted upon by the government.

"Further, the victims of this shocking misconduct deserve an apology from your government that this royal commission was not established sooner," Mr Shorten says to Mr Turnbull, in a letter also sent to acting prime minister Michael McCormack.

On Sunday Ms O'Dywer talked up the coalition's efforts to boost the standards for financial advisors, increase the penalties for misconduct and offer greater funding for the regulator ASIC.

Treasurer Scott Morrison on Friday announced tough new penalties for shonky bankers and corporate criminals, with individuals found guilty of misconduct in the finance sector to face up to 10 years behind bars.

Corporations could be fined up to 10 per cent of their turnover.

6. Police are offering $1 million dollar reward for any information on the unsolved murder of a Victorian mum that happened 36 years ago.


Jenny Rose Ng. Image via Victoria Police.
ADVERTISEMENT

Melbourne homicide detectives are offering a million-dollar reward for information relating to the murder of Jenny Rose Ng in Richmond 36 years ago.

Ms Ng was found dead in her flat by her two daughters on April 23, 1982.

The girls, aged nine and seven at the time, had come home for lunch and found their 39-year-old mother dead on the loungeroom floor.

She had been stabbed multiple times. Their younger sister, 11 months, was found unharmed in her bassinette in their mum's bedroom.

Ms Ng was last seen alive that morning by her daughters and her 11-year-old son when she helped them get ready for school. She was separated from her husband at the time.

Detective Inspector Tim Day, in charge of the homicide squad, said on Sunday it was devastating for Ms Ng's children.

"We still don't know why Jenny was murdered and we're hoping that by announcing this reward today, we will get information that leads to detectives finding who is responsible," he said.

Det Insp Day believed there are still people who have information critical to this investigation.

"Detectives established that a male entered Jenny's flat approximately 10.30am on the day she was killed," he said.

"This is significant as investigators are confident that this person may have known Jenny and ultimately may have been involved in her murder.

"To date, this person has not been identified.

"They've had 36 years to live with this information and for it to sit on their conscience. Someone knows why this happened and who is responsible.

"I'm urging anyone with any information at all regarding the circumstances of Jenny Rose's death to come forward and tell us what you know."

FROM OUR NETWORK
00:00 / ???