A Melbourne Hospital was evacuated on a suspected gas leak. Turns out it was just a smelly present.
Emergency services were called to Mitcham Private Hospital in Victoria last night after staff reported bad smells wafting through the maternity ward.
Fears of a gas leak promoted them to evacuate several mothers and newborn babies.
The Metropolitan Fire Brigade (MFB) discovered that the bad smell was actually coming from a present given to one of the new mothers.
MFB spokesperson, Keith Robinson,. told reporters, “We often have people mistakenly smell something and believe it to be gas.”
The present in question was later confirmed to be an exotic fruit. While the MFB haven't confirmed which fruit, Trevor Woodward said, "We heard it could be a durian."
For those lucky enough to not have heard (or smelled) of a durian, the fruit is renowned for their strong odour - think of a mixture of garlic, rotting onions, smelly socks and raw sewage and you have come close to imagining the smell.
Yes, we agree. Probably not the nicest present to give a new mum.
What's the most useless gift you received when you had a baby?