1. New details emerge in the kidnapping case of Sherri Papini.
It's been almost a year since the abduction of California mother-of-two Sherri Papini who disappeared on November 2, 2016 after dropping her children at daycare. She was found, 22 days later, bleeding and beaten on a nearby highway.
For the first time since a press conference on November 30 last year, police have made new details public and asked for assistance locating two suspects, releasing sketches of a pair of hispanic women.
On Wednesday morning Sergeant Brian Jackson of the Shasta County Sheriff’s Office told reporters that, though Papini said she was held by two hispanic women, male DNA was also found on her clothing, The Sun reports. The DNA is not linked to her husband.
Sergeant Jackson revealed other inconsistencies in Papini's story, including her claim that she'd cut her right food during a fight with the younger of the two women - police found no evidence of such a wound.
And further details such as Papini's report that she'd smashed one of her abductor's heads into a toilet bowl at one point during captivity.
Police also said Papini's hair had been cut short by her abductors and that she was branded on the back of her right shoulder - a common practice in sex trafficking, News Corp reports.
Police, and Papini's family, hope making these details public will encourage anyone with information to come forward.
"We are hopeful that the release of additional information by law enforcement will expedite the capture of Sherri’s abductors," husband Keith Papini said in a statement Wednesday to the Record Searchlight. "This has been an extraordinarily difficult time for our entire family."
During the press conference, Sergeant Jackson also provided an explanation for why detectives travelled to Michigan in their initial investigation - while Papini was still missing.
Her phone, which was found after her disappearance approximately one mile from her home according to the FBI, showed she had been messaging and planning to meet with a man travelling from Michigan to California for business.
Detectives travelled to Michigan between November 9 and November 11 last year to rule him out of their enquiries.
2. Samuel Johnson awarded Victoria's Australian of the Year. Oh, he's earned it.
— 7 News Melbourne (@7NewsMelbourne) October 26, 2017
A tearful Samuel Johnson struggled to speak after the actor and cancer research fundraiser was announced as Victoria's Australian of the Year, AAP reports.
The award comes just weeks after his beloved sister died from cancer.
"Connie and I always liked turning negatives into positives," he said when he accepted the award on Thursday night.
"I've got some plans that I'm working on and I'm trying to uphold my sister's legacy," Johnson said.
He apologised for being "useless" but said he would continue to put aside acting to focus on supporting cancer research.
The passionate cancer fundraiser co-founded charity Love Your Sister with his older sister Connie, who died in September after a long battle with the disease.
Johnson pedalled more than 15,000km on a unicycle around Australia, raising $1.4 million for the Garvan Research Foundation and has helped raise more than $7 million for his charity.
Thursday's announcement as Victoria's Australian of the Year for 2018 will help raise the profile of his charity and makes him a nominee for the national title in January.
3. Queensland Police allegedly find 19-year-old woman tied up in bedroom.
Shocked police have discovered a woman allegedly being held against her will during a routine visit to a suburban home south of Brisbane.
The officers were following up on an unrelated matter at the Waterford West home in Logan on Wednesday night when they found a 19-year-old, identified by News Corp as Tyler Faulkner, bound in a bedroom.
It's alleged she had been held against her will at the home since Monday.
A 40-year-old woman, Christine Louise Thomson, who police confirmed was known to the teenager, has since been charged with multiple offences including torture and kidnapping. It's alleged Thomson was keeping Faulkner hostage because she believed she had taken her car, News Corp reports.
Detective Inspector Tod Reid said the victim had suffered injuries consistent with with being assaulted and was being treated in hospital.
"She'll be in a position to give us a statement later on today where she'll be able to outline exactly what occurred over the course of that three-day period," he said on Thursday.
"It should give us a picture of the ordeal she's undertaken in those three days."
Det Insp Reid said the woman's injuries included abrasions, lacerations and burns.
He declined to speculate on possible motives but said multiple people had been at the home during the incident, including two small children.
4. "You wouldn't put your body through such a workout." Prince Harry's wise words about the danger of social media.
Queen Margrethe formally welcomes Prince Harry to Denmark as he begins his two day trip. pic.twitter.com/qrQ35cQ3NP
— Kensington Palace (@KensingtonRoyal) October 25, 2017
Prince Harry has warned of the dangers of social media for young people as he met ambassadors for a mental health charity on a visit to Denmark.
Harry spoke to volunteers and service users from the One of Us mental health campaign at a bakery in the Danish capital on Thursday morning, AAP reports.
"People are spending far too much time online and it's like a mental running machine that they can't get off," he said. "You wouldn't put your body through such a workout."
"I'm the last person to say ban it but people are suffering from mental fatigue and getting burnt out. We all need to talk to each other more."
Harry was given a tour of the bakery kitchen by head chef Claus Borre but declined a Danish pastry on his visit.
The Prince is on the second day of a two-day visit to Copenhagen - the latest in a series of European trips made by the Royal Family following the Brexit vote.
5. Ian Thorpe is urging Australians to 'yes', saying a 'no' vote would be hard to stomach.
— AU Marriage Equality (@AMEquality) October 26, 2017
Olympic swimming champion Ian Thorpe says it will be tough to stomach a victory for the no campaign in the same-sex marriage postal survey, but he's confident Australia will be voting yes.
"It would be really difficult to be in a country where we haven't voted for equality, where we haven't voted for fairness," he told reporters in Canberra on Thursday, AAP reports.
"Because you take that not only personally, but it isn't the kind of future that I want to see for Australia."
Equality campaign advocates are urging Australians to post their votes before 6pm Friday, to ensure they are received by tally rooms before the survey closes on November 7.
Thorpe said he would continue campaigning for same-sex marriage in the event of a win for the no vote to give equality for the LGBTI community.
"We will keep fighting for it, but I don't think we're going to get a no vote."
"I think it will be a resounding yes."
Earlier this week the Australian Bureau of Statistics said three out of four eligible Australians had voted, with an estimated 11.9 million (74.5 per cent) survey forms received.
6. AFL Women's games heading to prime time TV.
Are you ready to be inspired?
— AFL Women's (@aflwomens) October 19, 2017
More AFL Women's games are set to be played in prime time slots in the hopes of building on the competition's strong start.
The AFL, on Friday, will release fixtures for the second season of the women's competition, which is again expected to run across eight weeks, including the grand final, through February and March.
This year's inaugural season included several double-headers played either before or after AFL pre-season games.
But AFL broadcasting manager Travis Auld has confirmed that every AFLW game next year will be played as a stand-alone fixture, with the league keen to provide oxygen for the fledgling competition, AAP reports.
The league has largely kept the prime Friday night slots free for the women's games to be played in front of the biggest audience possible.
Just one AFL pre-season game is scheduled for a Friday night, with Sydney facing cross-town rivals Greater Western Sydney on March 9.
That opens space for up to six Friday night AFLW games ahead of the grand final, which was played on a Saturday afternoon.
"What's important is that we provide the AFLW with enough clean air throughout the fixture," Auld said on Thursday.
"We were overwhelmed with the level of support we received (last year), both in terms of the TV audience but also then the attendance on the day."