1. Search for missing Melbourne dad, Mark Tromp continues overnight.
The search for a missing Melbourne father has continued overnight in what police describe as one of the most bizarre cases they have come across.
Mark Tromp and his wife Jacoba “Coby” Tromp went missing after they became “separated” from their adult children while they family were fleeing stress at home.
Mrs Tromp was found alive in a NSW country hospital yesterday – but her “mental health and wellbeing wasn’t of a good standard” reports the ABC while Mr Tromp is still missing in the Wangaratta area, 350km away.
He was last seen running away from a Peugeot he was driving that belonged to his daughter Ella.
Mark Tromp’s children yesterday pleaded for him to return, saying he had feared for his life when they left their farm at Silvan, in the Yarra Ranges.
“It’s really hard to explain or put a word on it … They were just fearing for their lives and they just decided to flee,” Mr Tromp’s son, Mitchell, 25, said of his parents.
Ella, 22, Riana, 29 and Mitch, 25, had joined their parents on a “technology free” road trip, but the three adult children had abandoned the trip separately as their parents got mentally distressed, The Herald Sun reported.
Riana Tromp was found mentally unwell at the side of a road and admitted to hospital. Ella drove a different car she somehow acquired back to the family home in the Yarra Valley from Goulburn while Mitch Tromp, who caught trains to Sydney then back to Melbourne. He mysteriously threw his phone out the car window while travelling back to Melbourne.
Police fear Mark Tromp is hiding.
2. Parents angry at school for not telling them about alleged rape of 6-year-old girl earlier.
Parents at the Northern Beaches school in Sydney where two 12-year-old boys have been charged with a rape of a six-year-old girl in a school toilet block have said they are angry the school did not tell them earlier.
Police revealed yesterday they had charged the boys over two alleged attacks at the northern beaches public school last month.
The year one girl told Child Abuse Squad officers the boys attacked her in early August and again a week later.
One boy, charged with four counts of aggravated sexual assault and two counts of sexual intercourse with a child under 10, was granted bail.
The other year six boy charged with two counts of aggravated sexual assault and sexual intercourse with a child under 10, was also granted bail to appear at Children’s Court on October 20.
The Daily Telegraph reports that parents they were angry they weren’t told earlier.
“It’s more horrific that parents haven’t been advised. There are ways of letting parents know without telling the children,” one parent told the newspaper.
“It’s disgraceful, where do they get ideas like that? What’s happening at home?”
Another said: “I’m just horrified we haven’t been told, I’m gutted actually.I would have expected more from our principal.”
A father said the school should have informed parents.
3. Government loses three consecutive votes in the lower house last night.
The Turnbull government has been left red faced after it lost three consecutive votes in the lower house last night.
It is believed to be the first time in 50 years a majority government has lost a vote in the House of Representatives.