news

"I hate feeling scared again." Michael Guider victim Chantelle Daly on his release, & more in news in 5.

-With AAP.

1. “I hate feeling scared again.” Michael Guider victim Chantelle Daly on his release.

One of the last victims of convicted paedophile Michael Guider has opened up about the hurt and anger she feels knowing her abuser is now free from jail.

Guider, 68, served 23 years behind bars after being convicted of multiple child sex offences and the manslaughter of Bondi schoolgirl Samantha Knight.

Chantelle Daly speaks to 60 Minutes. Post continues below video.

Video by 60 Minutes

Chantelle Daly was drugged, molested and photographed by Guider as a six-year-old and has campaigned to keep him behind bars. Knowing he was free felt like “another kick in the teeth,” she told 60 Minutes.

“I hate him, I hate the system, I hate feeling let down and I hate feeling scared again,” she told reporter Sarah Abo. “I’m really angry at this whole situation.”

Even though Guider will be subject to a strict five-year supervision order with 56 strict conditions, including constant electronic monitoring with an ankle bracelet, Chantelle told 60 Minutes she still felt fearful.

Michael Guider seen during his release from Long Bay Correctional Centre in Sydney, Thursday, September 5, 2019. Image: AAP.
ADVERTISEMENT

"You can't rehabilitate a monster," she said.

"He's going to have five years supervision sentence, and then he is free, he is completely unsupervised.

"That should scare everyone. He will gain access to a child again."

60 Minutes also spoke to Guider's brother Tim Guider, who said he despised his sibling.

Tim said he was glad the footage of his brother leaving Sydney's Long Bay prison was broadcast, because now everyone knew what he looked like.

He said watching the footage "hurts".

"It makes me feel sad for all his victims and all their families. I didn't think I'd see this happening, I really didn't and I don't think it's right," he said.

"He looks like the personification of evil, he really does, and he is."

tim guider
Tim Guider. Image: 60 Minutes.

Samantha Knight's body has never been found and Michael Guider has shown no remorse for killing her.

Corrective Services NSW says Guider will remain at the Metropolitan Special Programs Centre adjacent to Long Bail jail until suitable halfway house accommodation is found.

He will not be allowed near places where children gather including schools, pools and cinemas, his internet usage will be monitored, and he won't be allowed to change his personal appearance without permission.

2. NSW premier Gladys Berejiklian announces she will relax Sydney's lockout laws.

ADVERTISEMENT

The NSW premier is planning on scrapping Sydney's lockout laws for most of the CBD but the move has been slammed by critics who argue public safety has improved since they were introduced.

Gladys Berejiklian on Sunday conceded it was time to boost Sydney's night-time economy after a cross-party parliamentary committee review of the laws earlier in the year.

"While we will await the committee's report, I agree it's time to enhance Sydney's nightlife," Ms Berejiklian said in a statement to AAP on Sunday.

"Sydney is Australia's only global city and we need our nightlife to reflect that."

The premier will move to lift the 1.30am lockouts in the CBD entertainment district but the law will remain in place for Kings Cross.

The legislation was introduced in 2014 in a bid to reduce alcohol-fuelled violence after the one-punch deaths of Thomas Kelly and Daniel Christie.

Ms Berejiklian hopes to introduce changes to the contentious legislation by the end of the year.

While some groups have welcomed the news, it has been criticised as "premature" by the Keep Sydney Safe campaign representing emergency service workers in NSW.

Spokesman Tony Sara argues the announcement is concerning, given the committee report has not yet been published and he called on Ms Berejiklian to release the findings.

"The committee's process isn't being respected ... Given the committee's report is being effectively ignored, we have no idea of how they have balanced known risk factors or projected what it will take to preserve safety," Dr Sara said in a statement on Sunday.

He said emergency service workers knew too well the consequences of dismantling the "modest laws" and warned assault figures would rise if they're repealed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Police Association NSW president Tony King said the restrictions had worked to improve public safety with decreases in assaults and crime across the city.

"The statistics are actually showing the night-time economy has diversified and is growing," Mr King told reporters in Sydney on Sunday.

"Lets keep it how it is."

The Sydney Business Chamber and Night Time Industries Association welcomed the announcement, while emphasising that more work was needed to reinvigorate the night economy.

"It's going to take more than just repealing the laws, we need a holistic approach to create a vibrant nightlife that's also safe," SBC executive director Katherine O'Regan said in a statement.

NTIA chair Michael Rodrigues said he looked forward to the parliamentary committee's report, which he expected would more fully address the reforms needed.

"Our concern in the interim remains that as long as lockouts are in place in Kings Cross, Sydney's global brand reputation will be unnecessarily tarnished," he said in a statement.

The committee's report is due to be released on September 30 with Independent MP Alex Greenwich saying the city is ready for its night-time economy to be revived.

The Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research (BOCSAR) released research in August that suggested the laws reduced the number of assaults but the benefit is diminishing over time.

BOCSAR found non-domestic assaults dropped 53 per cent in Kings Cross and four per cent in the CBD since lockouts were introduced.

But in the same period, assaults rose by 30 per cent at alternative nightspots accessible from the city.

3. "This is an omen." Queensland bushfires rage, more loom.

ADVERTISEMENT

Queensland fire crews are battling raging bushfires in the most devastating start to the fire season in the state's recorded history, as authorities warn it is an omen of things to come.

Residents at Linville, inland from the Sunshine Coast, were warned to prepare to leave just after 3pm on Sunday because a fire was heading towards them.

There are 57 fires raging in the state in the worst known start to the bushfire season.

Queensland Fire and Emergency Services predictive services inspector Andrew Sturgess says the fire danger weather has never been as severe so early in Spring.

In 130 years of records, about 40 houses have been lost, he said.

Since Thursday, more than 20 structures - including 15 houses - have been destroyed, with that number expected to rise.

"So this is an omen, if you will, a warning of the fire season that we are likely to see in southeastern parts of the state where most of the population is," he said on Sunday.

Acting Premier Jackie Trad said the fires overnight also claimed a piece of Queensland's history in the Gold Coast hinterland.

"Unfortunately overnight the Binna Burra Lodge, which has been part of the tourism landscape since 1933, has succumbed to devastation by the fires," she said.

"We are concerned with several areas, including Central Queensland, but we have firefighters working throughout today and throughout the night.

During the afternoon, weather conditions were bringing very fire high dangers to the north of the state.

At Linville, residents were told to leave if they didn't have a plan because the fire would probably hit George Street, John Street, David Street, Anne Street, William Street and Alice Street, Linville before 5pm.

The two other fires of concern are a huge blaze near the border towns of Applethorpe and Stanthorpe, and a bushfire in difficult terrain near Binna Burra in the Scenic Rim.

Scenic Rim Regional Council Mayor Greg Christensen warned it is still too dangerous for many to return to their homes because they risk being trapped by falling trees and other hazards.

The fire has already destroyed 11 homes that they know about.

"The reality is we should expect significant structural loss (and) that has already occurred, and potentially much more loss."

Water bombing is helping the firefighting efforts at the fire near Binna Burra.

ADVERTISEMENT

In Stanthorpe people are bracing for another long day and night.

Many Stanthorpe and Applethorpe residents were evacuated from the path of the fast-moving bushfire there on Friday, and people in Applethorpe evacuated again on Saturday.

QFES assistant commissioner Megan Stiffler has told them they would not have the fire under control before Monday.

The focus on Sunday is strengthening containment lines so it can't jump them if the winds get worse.

"Things are looking good but you still have to stay informed," she said.

Trees and powerlines are down so it remains too dangerous for people to return home until authorities say it is safe.

In Stanthorpe people have been taking food to the showgrounds for those in need as well as offering homes for the displaced.

Authorities have praised affected residents for heeding advice but warned against complacency.

4. Scott Morrison introduces cashless welfare cards to compound 'shame'.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has flagged a national roll-out of the cashless debit card but a peak welfare body has described it as "unnecessary, expensive, stigmatising and impractical".

Mr Morrison told the Nine newspapers results of trials of the program - which aims to prevent welfare payments being spent on alcohol, drugs and gambling - were "commending itself for wider application".

Scott Morrison
Prime Minister Scott Morrison has flagged a national roll-out of the cashless debit card. Image: Getty.

While he indicated this would be potentially aimed at an under-30s age group, he also said he would be prepared to be patient to ensure communities embraced the program before a nationwide expansion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Even so, ACOSS Director of Policy Jacqueline Phillips said the cashless debit card was unnecessary, expensive, stigmatising and impractical, making it harder for people to buy second-hand goods.

"It costs thousands per person to administer and many people feel humiliated when they have to pay with the card, especially in small towns," she said in comments obtained by AAP.

"This can compound the sense of shame many people feel about being unemployed when they are doing all they can to find paid work in today's competitive job market with one job available for every eight people looking."

She said this was a misguided attempt to distract from the urgent need to increase Newstart, which is widely supported and would provide the economy with much-needed stimulus.

The prime minister also defended his plans to have another crack at trialling drug testing for new job seekers to "help people get on their feet again".

Legislation will be put forward this week as parliament resumes after the long winter break.

But Labor has labelled the reintroduction of the bill as "mean and nasty".

The government has repeatedly resisted calls to increase Newstart, saying the priority is to get people off welfare and into work.

Labor's shadow spokeswoman for families and social services Linda Burney said the number of people over 55 who received Newstart had increased by over 45 per cent over a five-year period under the coalition.

"Older Australians experience particular difficulty in re-entering the workforce due to structural barriers and age discrimination," she said in a statement.

Manager of Opposition Business Tony Burke said the prime minister wanted to humiliate those people even further through drug testing.

"Walking into the office, having to urinate into a cup, having pieces of their hair plucked out, having to spit in to a jar, and all of this for what?" Mr Burke said.

"(Mr Morrison) thinks it's a clever political battle with Labor. It won't create a job, It humiliates people. It's not a sensible policy."

5. Man charged with filming up women's skirts.

A man has been charged with filming and taking photos up women's skirts in Sydney.

The 26-year-old targeted eight victims across North Sydney, and Central and Hurstville railway stations in April and May, police say.

Images were allegedly found on the man's phone, and he has been been bailed to appear in the Sutherland Local Court on September 18 charged with eight counts of filming a person's private parts without consent..

00:00 / ???