news

News in 5: Parents charged after daughter dies with 8kg tumour; Meghan Markle reveals due date; Third Dylan Napa sex tape emerges.

-With AAP.

1. The parents of a 3yo girl have been charged with manslaughter after she died with an 8kg tumour.


The parents of an Oklahoma toddler who died from an eight kilogram cancerous tumour have been charged with first-degree manslaughter.

The Lawton Constitution reported Henry Clarence Lilly III, 49, and Bonnie Beth Mills-Lilly, 42, are accused of not providing medical care to their three-year-old daughter.

The Comanche County Sheriff’s Office began an investigation after authorities received a call on January 3 that the girl was unconscious but breathing at a camper home.

Sheriff Kenny Stradley said responders found her and six other children living with her parents in a camper. The girl was taken to a local hospital where she died.

The Constitution reported that if convicted, Lilly and Mills-Lilly would each face a minimum of four years in prison.

The couple was granted bail and will appear in court on February 28.

2. Meghan Markle has revealed her due date.

Meghan Markle has shared her due date, telling wellwishers at a public event that she is six months pregnant and is due to give birth in late April.

During her and Prince Harry’s visit to the town of Birkenhead on Monday, the Duchess of Sussex discussed her pregnancy with members of the public.

“We asked her how her pregnancy was going and she said she was six months and she tapped her tummy,” well-wisher Carla Gandy told PEOPLE.

ADVERTISEMENT

Meghan told others who had gathered to greet her and her husband that she’s due in late April.

When Kensington Palace announced the royal baby news in October, the only detail given was that the baby would be born in the northern Spring.

If born in late April, Meghan and Harry’s baby could end up sharing a birthday with another member of the royal family.

Prince Louis will celebrate his first birthday on April 23, and the Queen’s birthday is on April 21.

3. Dylan Napa in talks with lawyers after third sex tape emerges.

Bulldogs prop Dylan Napa has met with lawyers as a third sex tape allegedly involving him is being circulated on social media.

Two earlier explicit videos allegedly featuring the 26-year-old were released last week and over the weekend.

The Sydney Morning Herald reported the latest Napa video allegedly showed him engaging in a consensual sex act with a woman while referring to himself as “Big Papi”. This is the same name he is heard calling himself in the first video.

The Herald said it has been told the videos were posted to a private WhatsApp group involving other players “four to five years” ago.

Napa played 121 matches for the Sydney Roosters from 2013-18, including last year’s grand final win, before moving to the Bulldogs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Napa’s lawyers have spoken to the police, but no formal investigation is underway.

It’s the latest scandal in what’s being called the NRL’s “off season from hell”.

4. Coca-Cola to phase out plastic straws.

Environmental groups have welcomed Coca-Cola Amatil’s decision to replace plastic straws with paper in Australian outlets but have warned consumers not to be complacent with disposal.

The company announced on Monday it will phase out plastic drinking straws and stirrers in Australia over the next two months and replace them with fully recyclable and biodegradable paper straws.

Group managing director Alison Watkins said the decision part of the company’s efforts to reduce single-use plastics.

“We’ve heard the community message loud and clear – that unnecessary packaging is unacceptable, and we all need to work together to reduce the amount entering litter streams, the environment and the oceans,” she said.

Clean Up Australia’s managing director Terrie-Ann Johnson says Coca-Cola Amatil is doing the right thing and taking a step in the right direction, but it’s also up to consumers to dispose of biodegradable straws properly.

Last year, straws made up nearly 11 per cent of all plastic rubbish reported to Clean Up Australia.

“As rubbish, these items will still cause harm,” Ms Johnson told AAP.

ADVERTISEMENT

Compostable waste is the best way to dispose of paper straws, followed by commercial composting or landfill, but in the open they will take longer and cause harm, she said.

“It will still be consumed by birds and animals while it’s biodegrading out in the environment,” she said.

Eva Mackinley, founder of The Last Straw campaign, says it’s an exciting move from a large company.

“I’m hoping that the replacement of plastic straws by Coca Cola goes hand in hand with some waste reduction education, as simply replacing one disposable straw with another is still replacing waste with waste,” she told AAP.

The new paper drinking straws will be sourced from suppliers BioPak and Austraw and made available through Amatil’s ordering platform to around 115,000 outlets nationwide including grocery, petrol and convenience stores, bars, cafes and quick service restaurants.

The company said distribution of the old single-use plastic drinking straws and stirrers will cease as stocks run out over the next two months.

The new sustainable paper straws will be available from February.

Coca-Cola Amatil intends to make 100 per cent of Australian packaging fully recyclable by 2025, including all bottles, cans, plastic wrap, straws, glass and cardboard.

5. Murray bows out in Australian Open epic.

ADVERTISEMENT

Five-time Australian Open finalist Andy Murray has bowed out at Melbourne Park for possibly the last time, going down in a thrilling 6-4 6-4 6-7 (7-5) 6-7 (7-4) 6-2 first-round loss to Roberto Bautista Agut on Monday.

Battling a chronic hip injury that has him on the verge of retirement, Murray put up a fight against the Spanish 22nd seed in the four-hour-and-nine-minute contest.

The 31-year-old Scot, who said he will assess his future in the sport after the tournament, had momentum heading into the deciding set but Bautista Agut broke in the third game before serving out the match.

Murray was left limping and in visible pain by the end of the fifth set, that earlier in the match looked long odds.

“If this was my last match … I gave literally everything I had. It wasn’t enough tonight,” Murray said.

“Thank you so so much to everyone who came out tonight. I’ve loved playing here over the years.”

Drawing on the support of a packed Melbourne Arena, Murray let out a trademark road when he took the third set in a tie-break.

He then took the fourth on another tie break after claiming a mini-break on the first point.

But Bautista Agut broke in the third game of the final set to go ahead 2-1 as the former world No.1’s body finally gave way.

Murray, who slipped to No.230 after last year’s hip surgery, has targeted Wimbledon as a fitting farewell to the sport but left the door ajar to an unlikely return to Melbourne.

“Maybe I’ll see you again, I’ll do everything possible to try,” he told the crowd.

“If I want to go again I’ll need to have a big operation and there’s no guarantee that I’ll be able to come back from it.”

Triumphs at the 2012 US Open and Wimbledon in 2013 and 2016 and in two Olympic finals ensured Murray was no longer the bridesmaid of men’s tennis, cementing his status as a member of the ‘big four’ alongside Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic.

The Scotsman’s win at Flushing Meadows came after being a grand-slam runner-up four times and saw him become first British man to win a major since 1936.

Bautista Agut, who has lined up a second-round clash with Australia’s John Millman, gave tribute to Murray post-match.

“It was an unbelievable match. He gave everything until the last point. I want to congratulate him on all he’s done for tennis,” he said.

FROM OUR NETWORK
00:00 / ???