Twenty-two people including some children have been killed in a suicide attack carried out by one man after a Ariana Grande concert in Manchester.
“We believe, at this stage, the attack last night was conducted by one man,” Manchester Chief Constable Ian Hopkins said.
“The priority is to establish whether he was acting alone or as part of a network.
“The attacker, I can confirm, died at the arena. We believe the attacker was carrying an improvised explosive device which he detonated causing this atrocity.”
“This has been the most horrific incident we have had to face in Greater Manchester and one that we all hoped we would never see,” he said.
“Families and many young people were out to enjoy a concert at the Manchester Arena and have lost their lives.”
He says a “fast-moving investigation” has established the attack was conducted by one man who died at the scene, although detectives are working to establish if he was “was acting alone or as part of a network”.
Prime Minister Theresa May says police are treating the deadly incident as a terrorist attack and if confirmed it will rank as the deadliest militant assault in Britain since four British Muslims killed 52 people in suicide bombings on London’s transport system in July 2005.
Police responded to reports of an explosion shortly after 10.35pm (local time) on Monday at the Manchester Arena, which has the capacity to hold 21,000 people, where Grande had been performing to an audience that included many children and teenagers.