news

The first victim killed in the London attacks has been identified as a bride-to-be.

Seven people have been killed and a further 48 have been rushed to hospital after terrorist launched an attack on London last night.

A white van ploughed into pedestrians on London Bridge, before three men went from bar to bar along Borough High Street, stabbing people at random.

The terrifying attacks have officially been declared as acts of terrorism.

Authorities have confirmed the three suspects were shot dead by police.

The attacks come days ahead of a UK election on June 8 and less than two weeks after a suicide bomber killed 22 people at a pop concert by US singer Ariana Grande in Manchester.

Authorities have begun to release the names and details of those killed in the attack.

Friends and family of others who were injured in the attack have also begun to share their stories online.

Here is what we know about them so far.

Killed: Christine Archibald, age unknown, Canadian.

christina archibald london
Image via Twitter.

A bride-to-be who had moved to London to be with her fiancé is the first person killed in the attacks to be identified.

The Canadian citizen - whose identity wasn't revealed until today, despite Prime Minister Justin Trudeau confirming a Canadian citizen had died - had worked in a homeless shelter in Canada before her move.

Her family released a statement confirming her death.

ADVERTISEMENT

"We grieve the loss of our beautiful, loving daughter and sister. She had room in her heart for everyone and believed strongly that every person was to be valued and respected," the statement said.

"She lived this belief working in a shelter for the homeless until she moved to Europe...She would have had no understanding of the callous cruelty that caused her death."

Her family asked for her memory to be honoured by people making their communities a better place.

"Volunteer your time and labor or donate to a homeless shelter. Tell them Chrissy sent you."

Injured: Andrew Morrison, age unknown, Australian.

Aussie London terror
Image via Facebook.

Darwin electrician Andrew Morrison has been named as one of two Australians caught up in the horrifying attacks.

In a video posted on Reddit, Andrew was pictured holding a piece of bloodied material to his name, and said he had just finished watching the Champions League final in a London Bridge fight when he was stabbed.

ADVERTISEMENT

"A fight breaks out, I'm like, 'S*** what's going on here?'and I start to walk towards it," he said.

"All of a sudden a guy walks up with a knife."

After he was stabbed - "dodging" the most of it - Andrew walked into a pub and yelled, 'Someone help me, I've just been stabbed'.

Andrew also said he was celebrating his final night in UK when he was attacked, and was meant to be flying home to Australia the next day.

Andrew's sister, Katrina, confirmed that he was involved and said the family were "currently sorting out his flight home".

"Right now, we are just happy he is safe," she said.

Injured: Candice Hedge, 31, Australian.

Brisbane woman Candice Hedge was reportedly dining at a London bar with her partner when a man grabbed her head and slashed her throat with a 12-inch knife.

Luckily, the knife narrowly missed her windpipe and major arteries.

After briefly being in a coma, the young woman is now awake, and wrote to concerned family and friends on Facebook.

"Hey everyone, just so you know im doing ok. Bit of pain but I will survive," she wrote.

"Thanks for your thoughts and well wishes. Love to all."

It's believed Candice only moved to London around six months ago and was working in hospitality.

Injured: Third Australian, name and age unknown.

Foreign Affairs Minister Julie Bishop has confirmed today that a third Australian had been involved in the terror incident in London.

After speaking to Australia's High Commissioner to the UK, Alexander Downer, Bishop said the condition of the third Australian remains unknown and authorities were still making enquiries.

"The attack is an example of the new reality in which we live but we must never accept it, this ever-present threat of Islamist terrorism and the intent to harm our communities using vehicles, knives and everyday items to kill and to wound," she told ABC radio.

"It's designed to shock and it's designed to strike fear into communities but we must never give in."

Injured: Oliver Dowling, 32, and Marie Bondeville, age unknown, New Zealanders.

NZ london terror couple
Image via Facebook.
ADVERTISEMENT

A 32-year-old man from Christchurch, New Zealand and his girlfriend are believed to have been injured in the attacks.

The couple had been eating at the Lobos Meat and Tapas restaurant in Borough High Street when three man began stabbing at random.

Reports suggest Oliver Dowling is in a coma after he was stabbed in the face, neck and stomach.

His sister, Freddy Dowling, wrote on Facebook that Oliver had undergone surgeries for his injuries.

"Doctors are very happy with how he's come out the other side," she wrote.

"A massive thank to the University of London Hospital for their tireless efforts in helping my brother out."

His parents are believed to be by his bedside as he recovers in a London hospital. His girlfriend, Marie, was also injured in the attack, but her status is not yet known.

Injured: Geoff Ho, age unknown, English.

geoff ho london terror
Image via Facebook.

A journalist for Sunday Express was left in intensive care after he was stabbed in the throat when he rushed to help a bouncer during the terrorist attack.

According to friend Elisa Roche, Geoff Ho is recovering in hospital and is able to sit up, but cannot speak.

"It looks like he is going to be ok," she said.

His friends launched a frantic appeal on social media when he could not be contacted in the hours following the attack, confirming he had later been found in intenstive care.

ADVERTISEMENT

Geoff - a martial arts expert - wrote on social media that he had rushed to the aid of a club bouncer.

"Don't know whether it was stupid or noble to jump in and break up the fight outside the Southwark Tavern," he said.

"But two a***s trying to do over the lone bouncer on the door isn't happening on my watch."

Injured: Three Metropolitan police officers and a British Transport Police officer, names and ages unknown.

London police responded quickly to the attack. (Image via Getty.)

Four police officers - one who was off-duty and another who confronted the terrorists with nothing more than a baton - are among those wounded in an attack on London Bridge and in Borough Market.

The officers are yet to be identified, but British Transport Police chief constable Paul Crowther told The Guardian he had visited a colleague in hospital.

"He showed enormous courage in the face of danger, as did many others who were at the scene and rushed to help," Crowther said.

"Although he is seriously unwell, he was able to recount how he faced the attackers armed only with his baton, outside London Bridge station.

"For an officer who only joined us less than two years ago, the bravery he showed was outstanding and makes me extremely proud."

Injured: Four French nationals.

london terror attacks

The French government confirmed that four people injured in the rampage were French nationals.

Jean-Yves Le Drian, France's foreign minister, confirmed that one of them was seriously injured.

If any Australians are concerned about family and friends and unable to contact them they should call 1300 555 135 or +61 2 6261 3305 if overseas.

FROM OUR NETWORK
00:00 / ???