You have probably already heard all of this, multiple times, in various rants.
But I have created a list of things I need to tell you about life. I hope you never need to read this but in case I am not around for when you are growing up, here are all of the lessons I have learned and truths that will not be told to you in the current culture.
1. At least twice a day, you must always do these three things: wash your face, brush your teeth, and wash your hands.
2. Family is not defined by who is related to you. It is the people who genuinely love and care for you unconditionally.
3. Gender has nothing to do with biology. There isn’t a manual on it either. Be yourself. Love what you love. Do what you want to do. Don’t tolerate any judgment.
4. Love yourself first. If for some reason you don’t and I am driving you insane, talk to your father. He’s seen me through my darkest days without breaking a sweat.
5. Everyone has flaws. No one is perfect. Even your parents. Which is why you will go to your father to learn how to drive and I will teach you how to play sports.
6. Buy your significant other dinner every now and then.
7. Your school marks do not equate to your actual intelligence.
8. You do not have to be good at yoga…or even like it.
9. You do not have to wear a dress and heels to a dressy occasion.
10. But if you want to, wear the heels regardless of your height.
11. Try on red lipstick, no matter what the assistant at the counter says about your “coloring”.
12. Chase your dreams. Don’t let anyone tell you they are not worth it.
13. We will have the sex talk. Multiple times. And it will be in the car, with the doors locked, and you cannot run away from me. Please just listen. Don’t be embarrassed. I have made so many mistakes that I want you to learn from.