news

Horrific home video captures the moment a young boy was strangled by a window blind cord.

WARNING: The footage shows a young boy’s near-death experience and may be disturbing for some viewers.

When Nicky Walla pulled out her video camera to capture a cute family moment – her twins feeding each other – she had no idea her four-year-old son, Gavin, was silently being strangled in the back of the room.

As she moves the video camera to fix the home phone, which was knocked off the hook, the camera captures the frightening image of Gavin hanging from the window blind cord he had been playing with, only his tiptoes on the floor.

The cord was wrapped around his neck.

Watch the confronting video (viewer discretion advised):

His mum, screaming, somehow untangles the boy, who had turned blue, and she has no memory of how she did it.

Thankfully, Gavin began breathing again shortly after.

He was moments away from becoming another terrifying statistic.

Gavin, now 17, wants parents everywhere to see the confronting video.

“I’m glad that it’s out there,” he told ABC News.

“It saved the lives of other children that have been fortunate enough to have parents who have seen the video.”

home video boy almost died
Nicky Walla says she had no idea of the danger of blind cords before the terrifying incident.
ADVERTISEMENT

In the US, many more children have died from similar accidents since Gavin’s near-death experience 13 years ago.

Around one child a month reportedly dies from incidents involving window blind cords.

In Australia, the statistics are a lot lower, with only one or two kids dying each year from the common household hazards.

home video boy almost died
The Walla family nowadays.

But, that’s one or two kids too many.

Gavin’s experience is a frightening reminder to us all about the potential dangers of seemingly innocuous household items.

FROM OUR NETWORK
00:00 / ???