A six-year-old girl suffered neck injuries and was nearly strangled to death by her hat cord after it got caught in play equipment.
The Adelaide schoolgirl’s near-fatal accident, along with a similar incident involving another primary school student, has prompted a ban on hats or jumpers with cords across South Australian public schools.
Marley Oster was sliding down a spiral slide at her school’s playground last Thursday when her new school hat got caught and began to strangle her, Nine News reports.
Thankfully, eight-year-old Madison Fleming was at the top of the slide and came down to help, managing to release the hat’s safety clip.
“She’s got horrific scars across her neck,” Marley’s mother Gail Oster told Nine News.
“She’s been having nightmares since it happened.”
As terrifying as the incident was for the little girl, Mrs Oster was told by doctors that her daughter's windpipe was less than a minute away from being crushed.
Also last week, Alexandra Johnson, an eight-year-old East Adelaide School student was "choked" by her hat cord and left hanging from a rope bridge until she was rescued by a teacher, The Advertiser reports.
"I accidentally let go and my hat got caught on the black rope and it choked my throat,” Alexandra told the newspaper.