beauty

14 weird/cool facts you probably didn’t know about your hair.

Have you ever stopped to think about that beautiful stuff atop your head?

Hair is a protein filament that grows from skin follicles. It’s also one of the defining characteristics of mammals.

It comes in a range of colours, textures and lengths.

And it’s pretty fascinating stuff. So here is everything you need to know about your hair.

1. Just call yourself Rapunzel.

A single strand of your wet hair can stretch an additional 30 per cent of its original length.

2. RIP, hair.

The only part of your hair that is alive is still inside the epidermis of your scalp. The rest of your hair is dead.

3. Blondes and gingers rule.

When it comes to hair colour, blondes and redheads should feel particularly special. Red hair only exists in one per cent of the population with blonde hair in two per cent.

4. Redhead? You’re the sensitive type.

Speaking of redheads, our ginger friends feel pain differently to everyone else. Studies have shown that they’re more sensitive to hot and cold extremities and that their bodies are able to change temperature much faster.

5. Book that holiday.

Hair grows slightly faster in warm weather as heat stimulates circulation, encouraging hair growth. A great excuse for a tropical holiday, right?

6. No, you’re not going bald.

It’s natural to freak out when your hairbrush looks pretty chockers, but don’t fret. The average human sheds between 50 and 150 strands of hair a day. It is also comprised of some of the fastest-growing cells in the body, aside from bone marrow.

7. It turns out your hair is pretty ripped.

Each strand of your hair can support up to 100 grams in weight. Times that by the average 100,000 to 150,000 strands on your head, and your entire mop can support the weight equivalent of two elephants. Wow.

8. Blame it on yo mama.

The diameter of the actual hair cuticle determines how thick or fine your hair is as well as the amount of hairs you have per square centimetre. So basically you can blame it on yo mama… or father: it’s genetic.

ADVERTISEMENT

But never fear, thin-haired friends, there are proven products that can thicken hair like the L’Oreal Paris Elvive Fibralogy thickening Haircare range. With 17 years of research and eight years of testing, L’Oreal Paris have formulated a patented technology with the first active ingredient that helps create thicker hair from within the cell itself.

But don’t just listen to us, the Fibralogy serum was also voted the product of the year in 2015. The range is available at all leading retailers for $5.95 for the shampoo and conditioner, and $9.95 for the serum.

Consumers shared their stories about using Elvive Fibralogy in the latest campaign, see below for photos and more details.

9. Men and women are equal.

If you’ve ever seen a CSI-type show identifying the gender of a suspect by a single strand of hair, feel free to scream LIES at your TV screen. Men’s and women’s hair are identical in structure.

10. Another great excuse for sexy times.

If you’re looking to grow your hair, try getting your rocks off regularly. The anticipation of sex apparently makes hair grow faster.

11. It grows (almost) everywhere.

On humans, hair can grow everywhere on the body except on the palms of your hands, soles of your feet, eyelids and lips.

12. It is ALWAYS growing.

90 per cent of your hairs are in a constant state of growth while the other 10 per cent are just taking a little nap.

13. Your hair is committed.

Each piece has a lifespan of about five years.

14. And most importantly, why do we humans even have hair?

It’s not just for lookin’ pretty. The hair on our head serves as a heat insulator and coolant as well as protection from UV rays. Good to know.

What's your best hair care tip?

Consumers shared their stories about using Elvive Fibralogy in the latest campaign, see below for photos and more details. 

00:00 / ???