A Queensland mother has spoken about the devastating consequences of her four-year-old daughter being sexually assaulted by another child.
According to The Courier Mail, the nine-year-old boy’s father discovered him lying on top of the little girl at a weekend barbecue back in July.
The boy, who lives nearby, reportedly admitted to attempting to sexually penetrate the girl when confronted at the time.
“[He] said [my daughter] had wanted to go but he wouldn’t let her leave,” the girl’s distraught mother told the paper.
Australian law dictates that the boy cannot be held criminally responsible for his actions, but the victim’s mother still feels let down and claims it took police 10 days to interview him and his father, reports The Courier Mail.
Meanwhile, she says, her little girl has been plagued by nightmares and become especially “clingy” in the three months since the incident occurred.
“We received a referral to counselling, but the doctor from the Caboolture sexual assault clinic said talking about it runs the risk of making it more real for her,” the mother said.
“So we just have to be really watchful of any changes in behaviours.”
The boy has since undergone behavioural counselling, but that’s not enough to make the family feel safe remaining in the area – they’re currently considering moving elsewhere.
The incident is among a reported rise in child-on-child sexual assault.
According to the most recent Australian Bureau of Statistics figures, 27 per cent of sexual assault offenders in Australia last year were youths – 770 of them aged between 10 and 14.
Just last month, two 12-year-old boys were charged with raping a six-year-old girl in the toilet block of their Sydney primary school.
One has pleaded not guilty and will return to court on November 24, while the other will make is first appearance next month, reports ABC.
Featured image: iStock.