A family who fled Afghanistan as refugees has been struck by tragedy after two of their “sweet” daughters died when smoke filled their Geelong bedroom.
The toddlers’ parents woke to find the front room of their Loch Street, East Geelong, home full of smoke just after 8am on Thursday.
Detective Senior Sergeant Mark Guthrie says it appears a toy fell on an electric bar heater in the room where the girls, aged two and three, were sleeping.
It’s not known how long the fire was smouldering before it was discovered.
The family had fled Afghanistan, travelling first to Iran, before coming to Australia several years ago in 2015.
The girls’ father rushed to the home of neighbour Charlie Corke, a doctor and friend, for assistance.
Dr Corke told AAP he wasn’t home but another refugee family staying with him had helped.
The parents drove the girls to hospital where they were pronounced dead. It’s believed they died as a result of smoke inhalation.
Their six-month-old sister, who was in another room, was treated for smoke inhalation. Neither she nor her parents were injured.
Dr Corke visited the family in hospital on Thursday morning and said they were understandably devastated.
“It’s everybody’s worst nightmare,” he said.
“They’re a lovely family. They’re well liked and I hope there’ll be adequate support in the community.”
Just read a bit more about the tragic death of two young girls in a Geelong fire. Father runs Mr Kebab. Poor people I hope his youngest recovers
— Ben ???? ???????????????????? (@thecattery) September 13, 2018