1. Five-year-old girl accidentally poisoned by doctor.
A five-year-old girl was accidentally poisoned by a doctor when she was given the wrong type of medication at Perth’s Fiona Stanley Hospital.
The little girl went to hospital to have a leg gash stitched, but a female doctor injected her several times with a dose of magnesium sulphate instead of an anaesthetic, the girl’s foster mother has said.
The mistake happened in February this year.
Perth Now reports that doctors only realised the mistake when the girl would not stop screaming in agony as they attempted to stich her wound. They discovered that the girl had been given magnesium sulphate used to treat high blood pressure or asthma.
“They’d be trying to stitch and she’d start screaming and wrestling off the table,” the foster mum said.” They kept putting more and more of the magnesium sulphate into her. They said, ‘She can’t feel it, she can’t feel it’, but I said, ‘She’s screaming!”
The girl was kept overnight for observation but was well enough to go home the next day. Australian Medical Association WA president Andrew Miller said drug manufacturers needed to make labels clearer.
2. Rio’s beaches made off-limits to Australian athletes after swim star Ryan Lochte robbed.
There are reports today that US swimmer Ryan Lochte has been held up at gunpoint at a party in Rio De Janeiro, along with four other swimmers.
Locate was at a party he had been invited to by Brazilian swimmer Thiago Pereira when he and three teammates were robbed in the early hours of the morning.
Lochte told NBC he had a gun put to his head.
Lochte’s mother Ileana, told USA Today: “I think they’re all shaken up. There were a few of them…they just took their wallets and basically that was it.”