A simple fall from the family couch has forever changed one-year-old Eddie's life.

A one-year-old Queensland boy who fell from a couch in his family home has suffered horrific injuries that resulted in having part of his skull removed.

His mother, Joanne Liberato, says it was hard to ever imagine a fall off the couch could ever be so bad.

Eddie Kidd, the youngest of her four children, was climbing on the back rim of the family’s L-shaped lounge in August when he fell and hit his head on floor tiles.

“I was in the kitchen and I said: ‘You need to hop down Eddie’ – because he knows he’s not allowed up there … and he went to the end of it, looked at me cheekily and fell off,” said Ms Liberato.

The little boy began screaming and crying in pain straight away and both of his eyes instantly started swelling.

Ms Liberato said Eddie was rushed to a nearby hospital where he was found to have a fractured skull and bleeding to the brain.

He was later airlifted to The Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital for surgery and medical staff discovered the toddler had haemophilia – which was preventing him from healing.

“If I hadn’t taken him to hospital he would have passed away because he would have kept bleeding,” his mother told Mamamia.

Within a few days of his initial operation doctors discovered he had contracted Golden Staph.

Eddie had another operation where part of his skull bone was removed, cleaned of infection and replaced.

But just over two weeks later, after showing signs of infection again, he was taken back to hospital and the infected part of his skull was removed permanently.

The “happy” toddler has has been fitted with a helmet to protect his missing skull after three operations on his skull and two blood transfusions.

His injury doesn’t stop him from playing with his siblings  – Stacey, 15, Grace,12, and four-year-old Joel – but his mother says he will require life-long care.


“He’s getting frustrated with me because I am stopping him from doing things,” Ms Liberato said.

The Sunshine Coast mother is doing her best to protect the 20-month-old from the slightest bump or fall, which could result in internal bleeding in his joints.

“It’s just about being patient with him and just being there for him,” she said.

“It’s not stopping him climbing at all – he’s still climbing things. I need to watch him 24/7.”

Eddie’s mother says his wounds have “totally healed” and he has recently been given the green light to swim.

“We took him to the beach on the weekend, he got to stand on a little surfboard and was screaming in delight on the beach. It was just awesome.” said Ms Liberato.

The 20-month-old needs a lot of rest for his recovery and struggles with his helmet in the Queensland heat.

“Even with the air conditioner on inside he will sweat down his neck and down over his forehead over his eyes.

“He can only play for about 25 minutes and then he has to go into a highchair or a I take him for a drive somewhere or a walk in the pram,” his mother said.

Eddie is set to see his neurosurgeons in the new year after celebrating Christmas at home with his family.

“This is very much a wait and see game, he will need plastic surgery to cover the scarring,” Ms Liberato said.

“We also don’t know the outcome of the head trauma with behaviour and learning.”

To donate visit to Eddie’s family visit: