A quest to lose weight has ended in tragedy.
The death of a 21-year-old woman who “burnt up from the inside” after taking diet pills she bought online has sparked a global warning from Interpol.
Eloise Parry died in an English hospital in April after consuming eight tablets containing the illicit and potentially lethal chemical 2.4-dinitrophenol (DNP).
Ms Parry drove herself to hospital on April 12 after she began feeling unwell.
Her mother, Fiona, said her daughter’s metabolism “exploded like TNT”.
She said she was initially “completely lucid” and “appeared quite okay”, but doctors discovered how dire the situation was after they carried out a toxicology report.
“Two tablets would have been enough to kill her, and she had taken eight,” she said.
Watch Eloise’s mum share her daughter’s tragic story (post continues after video):
Fiona Parry said the drug made her daughter’s metabolism and temperature soar and doctors “tried desperately to cool her down”.
She said the drug starting attacking Eloise’s muscles, releasing toxins into her blood that caused her internal organs to fail.
“They didn’t stand a chance of saving her because she’d taken so much,” Fiona Parry said.
“And I honestly don’t believe she knew that it was that dangerous and I certainly don’t think she realised it could kill her.
“That’s the misperception we have of slimming products in the world of hard drugs… they’re relatively innocuous in the grand scheme of things… and this one isn’t. This one really, really isn’t.”