Chelsea Ake managed a Las Vegas salon specialising in cryotherapy – a health and beauty treatment favoured by athletes, celebrities and the wealthy.
It involves customers standing in a capsule and being sprayed with freezing liquid nitrogen to temperatures below minus 150 degrees for just a few minutes.
But, 24-year-old Chelsea died last week after becoming trapped in a cryochamber for 10 hours when it failed to turn off.
Her friend, Shae-Lynn Bee told News3LV.com: “I do know that she was alone closing the shop up, and then did go into the machine and apparently did not turn off.”
“It’s very frustrating to know because you know there are no cameras in there,” Bee said.
“Basically, the only person that does know what happened is Chelsea.”
The local news station reports Ake may have suffocated while using the machine without any assistance in a tragic accident investigators have ruled stemmed from “operator error”.
— NBC KSNV News 3 (@News3LV) October 26, 2015