Pay day has finally arrived and you’ve vowed to never again be in the position of having $2.50 to your name for the last four days of the month.
We’ve got your back. Here are our absolutely kick-ass, clearly definitive life-hacks to saving money for 20-somethings.
1. Always get off your face before going out. – Sarah, 24.
2. House sit. Save GAZILLIONS!! – Lee, 28.
3. Only meet people for drinks (have pasta before going out), and only buy your own drinks (don’t go in a shout). – Mary, 30.
4. Turn on appliances (eg. dishwasher) after peak hours for cheaper rates. – Abby, 26.
5. Buy clothes from (cheap) vintage stores, like 1950s and 1960s stuff. Better quality than the same amount of money will buy you new, and also less likely to look dated, in a weird way. – Carla, 27.
6. Use Uber! Seriously. It’s cheaper than cabs, and you can equally split fares with your mates. No more of that “oh I’ll just give it to you when I see you next” nonsense. You have to sort that shit out on the spot, or you’ll never get your dollars back. And that adds up. – Kahla, 23.
7. Go out for dinner at BYO places. – Jo, 29.
If you’re a fan of hacks, why not try our hacks for dry shampoo? We can guarantee you haven’t seen them before. Post continues after video.
8. Wash your hair every third day instead every second. – Anne Marie, 24.
9. Buy kids clothes. – Samantha, 24.
10. I would say avoiding convenience stores is a good idea. So exy. – Claire, 26.
11. Basically, invest in a giant handbag that allows you to carry snacks, umbrella, gum etc constantly, and then you’ll never get caught out needing to buy any of these things. (Precisely why big handbags were invented.) – Kate, 21.
12. Go ‘home’ for dinner as often as possible. By ‘home’ I mean to your parents house. – Victoria, 27.
13. Withdraw cash at the start of the week/before the weekend and only spend that. You’re way more accountable when you have to physically part with money. – Fay, 32.
14. Go to the food market on a Sunday late in the afternoon, lots of produce going cheap to make way for fresh stock. – Laura, 27.
15. Carry an umbrella with you always, at all times, regardless of the weather, because having to buy one from the convenience store for $17 that breaks instantly is a life killer. – Sally, 29.