true crime

Queensland backpacker killing: Mia Ayliffe-Chung's mum wants daughter's ashes scattered around the world.

The mother of British backpacker Mia Ayliffe-Chung, who was fatally stabbed in north Queensland, says she will give vials of her daughter’s ashes to loved ones to scatter around the world so she can “visit places she hasn’t visited yet”.

Ms Ayliffe-Chung, 21, was killed and fellow Briton Tom Jackson, 30, is fighting for his life in hospital after the stabbing at a hostel in Home Hill, south of Townsville, on the night of August 23.

Mr Jackson suffered multiple stab wounds to his head and leg when he tried to save Ms Ayliffe-Chung.

French national Smail Ayad, 29, has been charged with murder, two counts of attempted murder, and several other offences.

Writing in a blog for The Independent, Rosie Ayliffe, from Wirksworth in the United Kingdom, wrote she had decided to cremate her daughter “sooner rather than later” as she could not bear for her body to be kept in a morgue for weeks.

“I know some of her friends are struggling with that, because they wanted her body brought home and a cremation or burial here in the Wirksworth area, but she has friends all over the place,” Ms Ayliffe wrote.

“Hence the plan to create a place of remembrance here, but also to give various people vials of Mia’s ashes to scatter in places dear to her or to them.

“That way she can visit places she hasn’t visited yet — Canada, New Zealand, Singapore. People are making huge journeys to mourn her.”

‘Wrong place at the wrong time’

Meanwhile, hostel owner John Norris said he wanted to meet the victims’ parents to say how sorry he was about the incident.

“I’d love to meet Tom’s father, I’d like to meet Mia’s parents, and just say how sorry and everything we are for what happened, because words can’t describe what happened,” he said.

“I did hear that she [Mia’s mother] was coming over, but I am hoping to have contact with her if it’s possible.

“Tom was just a happy-go-lucky backpacker, good for work, and just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, as was Mia.”

He said Mr Jackson and others tried to save Ms Ayliffe-Chung.

“They were all trying to help Mia and call ambulance and police,” he said.

Mr Norris said he was extremely grateful for all the help from police, ambulance officers and the community.

He added it would have been terrifying for those staying at the hostel.

“They were told to get into the rooms and lock themselves in their rooms so more people weren’t injured,” he said.

Ayad has been remanded in custody, with his case due back in court in October.

This post originally appeared on ABC News. 


© 2016 Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved. Read the ABC Disclaimer here.