1. Most baby bottles on the market are wrongly marked – and could be dangerous.
A study has found that more than half the baby bottles on the Australian market have measurement markings that are missing or wrong.
Researchers at Western Sydney University found that 57 per cent of baby bottles currently on the market were inaccurate, leading to feeding practices that may be dangerous.
Associate Professor Karleen Gribble tested more than 90 bottles and found one in five did not meet European standards.
Some even claimed to adhere to Australian standards reports the ABC, but “Australian standards” do not yet exist.
“One of the markings on one of the bottles was 40 per cent out,” Associate Professor Gribble said.
“So that meant a marker than was 100 milliliters was actually 60 milliliters.
“If parents don’t have bottles that allow them to measure accurately, they’re not able to make it up accurately.”
Parents underfeeding or overfeeding their babies can cause issues such as dehydration, constipation, reflux and excessive weight gain, and in extreme cases be life-threatening.
Ms Gribble, who led the study, said that even small mismeasurements in powdered formula and water could have dangerous consequences.
Experts are urging parents to weigh liquids on a scale to get an accurate reading in the meantime.
2. Father in murder suicide seen installing “system” on roof two days before being found dead alongside his family of suspected gas poisoning.
A father who was found dead alongside his wife and two children was seen installing something in the roof of his home just days before the entire family died in what police believe is a murder-suicide.
It is thought the family were deliberately gassed to death with a poison that was released using devices throughout the house in Sydney’s northern suburb of Davidson.
The Daily Telegraph reports that Maria Claudia Lutz, 43, was found in one room with one of her children and her other child was found alone in a separate room. Her husband, Fernando Manrique, 44, was found in another room in the house.
It is believed that Mr Manrique installed some sort of system to disperse gas throughout the house.
Neighbour Okik Thomassian, 72, who lives directly across the street said she last saw him just two days before his death.
“He was right up on the roof replacing tiles and using power tools of sorts,” Ms Thomassian told The Daily Telegraph.
“He was cutting and banging and making all sorts of noise and pulling up tiles but I don’t really know what he was doing.”
A police source said “There was a lot of pre-planning that went into this.’’
For help: Lifeline: 131 114 Beyond Blue: 1300 22 4636
3. Husband charged with murder after woman’s body found in house fire.
A man who escaped a house fire, along with his two sons has been charged with murder after his wife’s body was found.
Abdul Barati, 43, and the couple’s two sons, aged 9 and 6, escaped serious injury when the Western Sydney home caught fire at 3.35am yesterday on but he is understood to have phoned emergency services say his 30-year-old wife was still inside.
Last night police said they had charged a 43-year-old man with murder.
He was refused bail and will reappear in court today.
For help: DV and Sexual Abuse hotline 27/4: 1800 737 732
4. Jury in Gable Tostee case still unable to reach a verdict.
The jury in the Gable Tostee trial are still struggling to reach a verdict over whether he killed Tinder date, Warriena Wright, who fell off his 14th floor Gold Coast apartment balcony.