It’s Australia Day, and if there’s one day of the year that you can start to break out the zany facts about monotremes, it’s today.
So, here are 26 fun facts that you can use to turn yourself into a human bottle cap. Have fun:
1. We are one of the few countries that eats their national animal. (Even if we just put it in dog food.)
2. The Emu and the Kangaroo are on our crest because neither animal can walk backwards.
3. Per capita, we read more newspapers than any other nation.
4. The ‘dingo fence’ is the longest fence in the world (5,530km). It is about twice as long as the Great Wall of China.
5. The largest Greek population outside of Athens is found in Melbourne.
6. 750,000 camels roam our deserts, the largest number of purebred camels in the world.
7. Adelaide’s Botanic Gardens are home to the oldest glasshouses in the Southern Hemisphere.
8. The Australian Alps receive more snow than Switzerland.
9. Glenelg (in Adelaide), Tumut (in NSW) and Parap (in Darwin) are all palindromes.
10. We have 20% of the world’s poker machines, but only .33% of the world’s population.
11. Perth is the only city in the world which can have aircraft land in its CBD.
12. We are the only continent without an active volcano.
13. The Seekers were named joint Australians of the Year in 1967.