Police fear deadly attack on NSW service station worker was terror related.

One of two teenagers allegedly behind a violent rampage on the NSW-ACT border that’s left a service station worker dead and another two people injured, may have links to terrorism police say.

Two teenage boys, aged 15 and 16, are in police custody over the alleged 10-hour crime spree that started at 8pm on Thursday.

The 29-year-old attendant was found with stab wounds by a fellow employee at the Caltex service station on Bungendore Road, Queanbeyan, just before midnight on Friday, and he died at the scene.

Physical evidence at the service station led to NSW Joint Counter Terrorism Team (JCTT) being brought into the investigation, Deputy Commissioner Catherine Burn said on Friday.

The 16-year-old is the teen who may have the links to terrorism.

“It appears at this stage that there may be links to a modus operandi that we would suggest is indicative of a terrorist attack, inspired or otherwise, and the information at this stage is we’re focusing on one of them, not both, but information is still early and something might come out as we further investigate.”

Both boys are from NSW and were known to police, Ms Burn told reporters on Friday.

“This investigation is in its infancy,” she said.

The pair also allegedly stabbed a second man in a Queanbeyan street about 6.20am on Friday before fleeing in a silver Ford Falcon.


The pair were allegedly behind several other violent incidents between the two stabbings, police say.

There was “an attempted robbery at a bottle shop in the ACT, an attack on a homeless man in Queanbeyan, an assault at a unit in Queanbeyan,” Ms Burn said.

The teens were arrested in the ACT soon after the second stabbing, following a police pursuit.

The teenagers were taken to the ACT watch-house after their arrest, and NSW Police are seeking their extradition.

Ms Burn said the motivation behind the rampage was unknown.

“All we know again is that there are very, very serious crimes and we’ve got all the resources that we can possibly put into this.”

The pair had not come to the attention of counter-terrorism police before, she said.

It’s believed the teenagers became locked in the Queanbeyan service station after the stabbing but smashed their way out and fled with the cash register.

The service station remains a crime scene.

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull sent his condolences to the family of the 29-year-old victim, adding that he had spoken to AFP commissioner Andrew Colvin and the circumstances of the incident merited the involvement of the JCTT.