by JASMINE GARNSWORTHY
I can appreciate beautiful and quality clothing made from luxurious fabric as much as the next credit-card-max-er but buying investment (read: boring) pieces has never been something I’ve taken to.
Finding a bargain though? Well, that’s my specialty.
Walk me through Westfield at sales time and I’m like a sniffer dog at a festival, obsessively trying to track down the good stuff. And when I’m asked ‘where did you get that?’ I’ll happily tell you I picked up the jeans for $5 at Cotton On, or the sparkly jacket for $15 at an Op Shop.
But, as with all good things, sale time brings with it one little catch. It’s far too easy to be caught up in a whirlwind of three-for-$10 fluro tees and so-tight-you-can’t-breathe leggings, that seemed much more appealing on the sale rack and sadly somewhat less so once you get them home and in your wardrobe.
My message it this: just because its on sale, doesn’t mean its going to work alongside the clothes you already own and DOESN’T mean you’re going to wear it.
How do you avoid buying a wardrobe fail that you’re never going to wear, just because it’s half price? By shopping for complete outfits on the cheap. Really cheap. I’m talking complete looks at $50 or less.
A challenge, yes. Impossible? No dear readers, it is not.
To get you started, here are 7 outfits that will give you change from $50.
1. Ripped denim, a loose-fit tank and statement necklace. Great to throw on for Saturday afternoons on-the-go or the school run:
2. A structured peplum top with a sleek pencil skirt. Try it and go straight out from the office on Fridays:
3. Heatwave hitting your city? You can count on this tonal summer outfit.
4. This look has Sunday lunch written all over it. Available in sizes 14+
5. This just might be THE least intimidating way to try summer’s clashing print trend. Plus this tank has a long line through the body, which basically means it’s the most flattering of it’s kind. Yes, I broke the budget by $1.00. Worth it.
6. Casual Friday at work? Try this
7. Buy this white dress and gold statement necklace to never be stuck for a cocktail dress code. See that cute dress – it’s available in up to a size 26.