“I hate the way you talk to me, and the way you cut your hair…”
10 Things I Hate About You is an iconic movie. Made in 1999, the film was based off Shakespeare’s classic, Taming of the Shrew. Centered on the love story between the extremely difficult Kat Stratford and bad boy Patrick Verona, the movie introduced Heath Ledger to the world and made viewers fall in love with Julia Stiles.
It’s been 15 years since 10 Things I Hate About You premiered and we’re still not over it.
So we’re bringing you 17 things you didn’t know about this cult classic.
Read through our trivia below. Come on, you know you can’t get Kat’s poem out of your head either.
17. Kat’s famous poem only took one take to shoot. Her tears at the end were not scripted, simply felt in the moment. And one of the defining moments of Heath Ledger character’s storyline, he improvised the scene where he plays with the fire.
16. Josh Hartnett and Ashton Kutcher both auditioned for the role of Patrick that went to Heath Ledger.
15. Kat’s bratty sister Bianca was the role Julia Stiles originally auditioned for.
14. The movie originally contained very dark undertones where suicide attempts were mentioned. This was changed to suit a younger audience.
13. Many elements from Shakespeare are kept in the film. The character of Cameron at one point directly quotes Taming of the Shrew when he says, "I burn, I pine, I perish."
12. Julia Stiles is only three months older than Laris Oleynik, who plays her younger sister of two years, Bianca.
11. Bianca and Kat's last name is Stratford. William Shakespeare was born in Stratford-upon-Avon.