The red carpet may have been a little dull (check it all out here) but these 8 controversies more than made up for it…
1. Was Renee Zellweger drunk? While presenting the award for Best Original Score with her old “Chicago” co-stars Catherine Zeta-Jones, Richard Gere and Queen Latifah, the “Bridget Jones’ Diary” actress’s eyes appeared oddly unfocused and swayed visibly on stage.
She also struggled to read out the name of the winner in the category, after Gere presented her with the envelope.
On a positive note, Zellweger looked stunning – and a little bit like an Oscar herself – in a shining gold Carolina Herrera gown.
2. Jennifer Lawrence falling over.
The 22-year-old may have tripped on the hem of her dress as she took to the stage to accept the award for Best Actress for her role in “Silver Linings Playbook”, but she recovered admirably.
J-Law said later backstage that when she fell she was thinking, “A bad word that I can’t say that begins with ‘f’”, but after hanging her head and taking only a moment to compose herself, she rose to her feet.
After the ever-chivalrous Hugh Jackman (who else) rushed forward to help her, Lawrence climbed the stairs without any further mishaps. In her self-effacing acceptance speech, she said:
“Thank you. You guys are just standing up because you feel bad that I fell and that’s really embarrassing but thank you.”
Check out the dress that made Jennifer Lawrence trip, as well as all the other celebrity frocks, below:
1 / 129
3. You HAVE to watch this video of Jack Nicholson (75-years-old) hitting on Jennifer Lawrence (22-years-old) while she’s being interviewed after the Oscars. How he interrupts, how she reacts, everything … just incredible. Watch it here.
4. Ben Affleck’s comments about his marriage to Jennifer Garner.
After being passed over for a Best Director nomination, actor and director Ben Affleck gave an understandably emotional speech when “Argo” won Best Picture.
What wasn’t expected was what Affleck said next:
“I want to thank my wife for working on our marriage for 10 Christmases… It’s good … it IS work, but it’s the best kind of work … and there’s no one I’d rather work with.”
The camera then cut to Jennifer Garner, 40, with tears in her eyes that may have been happy or sad. Not sure.
6. Seth McFarlane’s jokes about boobs and domestic violence.
McFarlane, 39 – the creator and voice of Family Guy and the movie, Ted – sung a song about woman’s breasts being bared in films, he joked about the prospect of 9-year-old Quvenzhané Wallis dating George Clooney, and he said that Ben Affleck with a beard looked like a Kardashian (implying that all the dark-haired Kardashian women had facial hair).
But the most controversial “joke” from his repertoire occurred minutes into the Oscars night, when McFarlane said about film “Django Unchained”:
“This is the story of a man fighting to get back his woman, who’s been subjected to unthinkable violence. Or as Chris Brown and Rihanna call it, a date movie.”
The audience gasped.
After the joke fell flat, McFarlane assured the audience, “That’s as bad as it gets, if it makes you feel better,” before admitting, “It’s really not as bad as it gets.”
His performance left many asking: why can Amy Poehler and Tina Fey host everything?