Even if you don’t follow the modelling industry, chances are that you can put a face to names like Elle, Naomi, Gisele, Miranda, and if you caught the latest Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show maybe even, Doutzen, Alessandra or Jess.
But there are many more models* who are changing the face (and body) of modelling, so we’ve compiled a list of who’s who. Strap yourselves in, this is going to be fun.
1. Robyn Lawley – this Aussie model only has to don some sizzly lingerie for it to make headlines around the world. But better still we love what she said about thigh gaps in a recent Op Ed. If you missed it, read it here.
2. Lauren Burnett – she made modelling history as the 2nd Australian plus-size model ever to be featured in Vogue Australia. We know, baby steps! But excitingly, Lauren had only been signed with BGM models for two weeks before she was booked for Vogue’s May 2013 ‘New Season Silhouettes’ story.
3. Kate Dillion – has been working as a plus-size model for over a decade. She’s worked on major brands like L’Oreal, Gucci, and Jean Paul Gaultier.
4. Laura Wells – is an (Aussie) international model and avid positive and healthy body image promoter. Laura’s body was also used to carve out the new mannequins for the lingerie sections at department stores Myer and David Jones in Australia. Oh, and she’s also an environmental scientist.
5. Tara Lynn – famously appeared on the cover of Vogue Italia June 2011. Since then she’s starred in numerous controversial editorials, covered ELLE France, which deemed her “The Body,” fronted H&M’s “Big Is Beautiful” campaign, and worked with celebrated photographers such as Patrick Demarchelier and Steven Meisel.
*We know, we know, none of these models are even close to being “plus size.” Because if a model in size 12 clothing is “plus size” then what does that make the average woman? Supersize? No, it doesn’t lets remember that “plus size” is an industry term, to be used when comparing two models; not ourselves and a model.
For more beauty and style news like Mamamia Style on Facebook: